Old 09-09-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Camellia japonica

Hello, I'm new to this group and I was wondering if I can get some
advice.
I live in London and I have a small north-facing garden. I've just
noticed - with much surprise- that my Camellia japonica is in the
process of producing flowers (!), yes, in September! I would normaly
expect to see the first buds in March.. Can this be caused by the
unusual weather we just had?
Many thanks

Silvia

Old 09-09-2006, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello, I'm new to this group and I was wondering if I can get some
advice.
I live in London and I have a small north-facing garden. I've just
noticed - with much surprise- that my Camellia japonica is in the
process of producing flowers (!), yes, in September! I would normaly
expect to see the first buds in March.. Can this be caused by the
unusual weather we just had?
Many thanks

Silvia

In camellias generally, the buds start swelling in autumn. Nascent buds
for next year are already present when the flowers drop off in the spring.
And the flowers should start opening late February early March, through to
May in some species. That's in London or the UK generally. A sheltered north
facing situation is considered beneficial as it prevents buds covered by
overnight frost from being subject to full sun in the morning. After a
particularly dry Summer, camellias can benefit from extra watering, and
maybe feeding in the early Autumn to assist bud formation for the new year.

michael adams

Old 09-09-2006, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/9/06 19:22, in article , "michael adams"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

IME, C.sasanqua starts earlier (autumnal) and e.g. C. sasanqua Narumigata
may well be flowering before and over Christmas. But the the OP seems
certain her plant is a C. japonica. Of course, it is also possible the
plant has been under some stress and has flowered as a result of that.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk