Old 12-09-2006, 10:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Apples

The Invalid wrote:
Picked some apples from our tree yesterday and most of them had
maggots in. All seemed to have got in from the base of the apple in
the middle.
Will I need to put a tar band round the tree or are the eggs injected
in by flying bugs ?

I'm going to get rid of my apple tree this winter - I'll try to
transplant it to the lotty but I fear it might be too big even to do
this.

I've battled with moths for 6 years now. I've ringed it every year and
used a trap with pheromones to attract the males moths - lots were in
there but still got very few apples even though we had a spectacular
show of flowers each spring.

I have however discovered that hawthorns are bad in the vacinity of
apple trees. I have two hawthorns within 5 metres of the tree! So it's
goodbye to my apple tree (