Old 14-09-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Tomato Sport - advice? - Tomato Sport 20060814.JPG (0/2)

Jim Carter writes:
On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:20:34 -0700, Robert H. Rosenberg
wrote:

Still haven't heard how common this might be.
FYI, I've added a photo via attachment, if it comes through.

The attachment did not make it.

Robert's two binary posts appeared on my server, though I didn't view
them as I have a setting not to download binaries. But I did get the
photo the first time it was mentioned. I think the OP should wait until
his plant produces a SECOND 'sport' on that branch before jumping to any
conclusions, because ...

what does happen quite often with tomatoes is that you'll get a fruit
which is the fusion to two ordinary fruit, so it is much heavier than
normal and of a different shape--often resembling two normal tomatoes
melted together, but sometimes much weirder. It's usually a one-off and
something to do with a particular flower rather than a whole branch of
flowers.

You might have a mutant limb, though it's unlikely. Not downwind of a
nuclear power station are you?? Or near a depleted-uranium weapon test
site??

A migrant from Chelmsford in the UK told me that where she grew up near
a golf course, the greenkeepers each year spread sewage sludge (human
manure) to fertilise the grass. Then in Springtime the nearby residents
would make furtive forays to the green to dig up free tomato seedlings that
had sprung up everywhere. It was a lucky dip, not knowing what variety of
tomato you'd end up with.