Old 03-09-2006, 04:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Sport - advice?

My daughter gave me a tomato plant this spring originating many years
back from my son-in-law's family - a somewhat typical Italian red
tomato, slightly plumper than a Roma . It's doing well with 7 or 8
normal looking tomatoes, but appears to have a 'sport', a single large
bulbous tomato off one branch bearing no resmblance to the others.

Is this common with tomatoes? If not, depending on how it looks at
maturity, is it something I should get excited about and pursue with a
local expert?

RHR
Old 05-09-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Robert H. Rosenberg wrote:

My daughter gave me a tomato plant this spring originating many years
back from my son-in-law's family - a somewhat typical Italian red
tomato, slightly plumper than a Roma . It's doing well with 7 or 8
normal looking tomatoes, but appears to have a 'sport', a single large
bulbous tomato off one branch bearing no resmblance to the others.

Is this common with tomatoes? If not, depending on how it looks at
maturity, is it something I should get excited about and pursue with a
local expert?

RHR

I believe that is the stuff of evolution, namely, happenstance and
survival. IT is after all a tomato.

Slice it, salt it, and enjoy.

Regards,
Old 05-09-2006, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Robert,
just one huh? That's tough. The first thing to do is get it a business
agent and come up with some colorful story for its' origin (You know
like being found in the garden of some hermit high in the [name of
mountain here].) Be sure to get pictures. Does it vaguely resemble any
known saint? Be sure to try public access TV. I mean whoop it up.

Finally, at some point it you should probably taste it. If it's any
good, save some seeds.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum. (more or less)

Old 07-09-2006, 10:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
宁 is offline

The Cat Whisperer 写道:

"mr p." wrote:

Robert H. Rosenberg wrote:

My daughter gave me a tomato plant this spring originating many years
back from my son-in-law's family - a somewhat typical Italian red
tomato, slightly plumper than a Roma . It's doing well with 7 or 8
normal looking tomatoes, but appears to have a 'sport', a single large
bulbous tomato off one branch bearing no resmblance to the others.

Is this common with tomatoes? If not, depending on how it looks at
maturity, is it something I should get excited about and pursue with a
local expert?

RHR

I believe that is the stuff of evolution, namely, happenstance and
survival. IT is after all a tomato.

Slice it, salt it, and enjoy.

Regards,

How about it's tastes? If it's good you can make it into tomato juice.

Old 10-09-2006, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato Sport - advice? - Tomato Sport 20060814.JPG (0/2)

Well, some slug likes its taste, has made a small hole on it, avoided
the other tomatoes on the vine. It's ripening - I'll keep you posted
on the taste.
Still haven't heard how common this might be.
FYI, I've added a photo via attachment, if it comes through.

RHR

Old 11-09-2006, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 09 Sep 2006 22:20:34 -0700, Robert H. Rosenberg
wrote:

Still haven't heard how common this might be.
FYI, I've added a photo via attachment, if it comes through.

It is common in tomatoes that rest on the ground.. Just cut out
the affected parts and eat it, taste is not affected.

The attachment did not make it.
Old 14-09-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

Still haven't heard how common this might be.
FYI, I've added a photo via attachment, if it comes through.

The attachment did not make it.

Robert's two binary posts appeared on my server, though I didn't view
them as I have a setting not to download binaries. But I did get the
photo the first time it was mentioned. I think the OP should wait until
his plant produces a SECOND 'sport' on that branch before jumping to any
conclusions, because ...

what does happen quite often with tomatoes is that you'll get a fruit
which is the fusion to two ordinary fruit, so it is much heavier than
normal and of a different shape--often resembling two normal tomatoes
melted together, but sometimes much weirder. It's usually a one-off and
something to do with a particular flower rather than a whole branch of
flowers.

You might have a mutant limb, though it's unlikely. Not downwind of a
nuclear power station are you?? Or near a depleted-uranium weapon test
site??

A migrant from Chelmsford in the UK told me that where she grew up near
a golf course, the greenkeepers each year spread sewage sludge (human
manure) to fertilise the grass. Then in Springtime the nearby residents
would make furtive forays to the green to dig up free tomato seedlings that
had sprung up everywhere. It was a lucky dip, not knowing what variety of
tomato you'd end up with.

Tomato 'sport' RHR Gardening 2 20-08-2006 10:23 AM
[IBC] When is a Sport a Sport? Ethan Smith Bonsai 5 09-09-2005 01:40 PM
Lane Late navel orange, is a late maturing bud sport of Washington navel orange. [email protected] Gardening 0 29-06-2005 11:50 PM
alt.architecture,rec.sport.football.pro,alt.books.cs-lewis,rec.gardens.edible,rec.games.frp.cyber . Edible Gardening 0 17-06-2004 12:02 PM