Old 13-09-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default weeds in driveways

Neil Smith wrote:
Dear All,
due to lack of time I had to ignore the driveway. Now weeds and grass have
taken root to such an extent that quite a powerful pressurised washer cannot
shift them. Any suggestions that could avoid me spending days on my hands
and knees?

I have once come across a wonderful idea for cars parked in front
garden/driveways. Two tracks were made out of bricks, where the car
would drive on and park and the rest was graveled on top of a membrane.
It was planted with creeping jenny, buggle, thyme all along the two
tracks. These plants are low, scented and don't mind being covered by
the car for short period of times. I thought it was lovely.

But sorry, I don't use chemicals so I don't have a suggestion beside
spending some time on your hands and knees and removing the unwanted
plants that grows through your paving. I have lots of orange hawkweed,
london pride and aquilegias which seem to have taken over the
dandelions in our paving. I think it's rather nice.