Old 13-09-2006, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default weeds in driveways

Dear All,
due to lack of time I had to ignore the driveway. Now weeds and grass have
taken root to such an extent that quite a powerful pressurised washer cannot
shift them. Any suggestions that could avoid me spending days on my hands
and knees?
Neil

Old 13-09-2006, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Neil Smith" wrote in message
Dear All,
due to lack of time I had to ignore the driveway. Now weeds and grass have
taken root to such an extent that quite a powerful pressurised washer
cannot shift them. Any suggestions that could avoid me spending days on my
hands and knees?
Neil

Sodium Chlorate is good for driveways. However, if your driveway runs right
alongside lawn or flowerbeds use something else as sodium chlorate may
spread through the soil a little way and kill other plants / lawn edge. In
that case you may just have time to use Glyphosate / Roundup - it works
better when weeds are growing vigorously in Spring and Summer so may not be
100% at this time of year.
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 13-09-2006, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Neil Smith wrote:
Dear All,
due to lack of time I had to ignore the driveway. Now weeds and grass have
taken root to such an extent that quite a powerful pressurised washer cannot
shift them. Any suggestions that could avoid me spending days on my hands
and knees?

I have once come across a wonderful idea for cars parked in front
garden/driveways. Two tracks were made out of bricks, where the car
would drive on and park and the rest was graveled on top of a membrane.
It was planted with creeping jenny, buggle, thyme all along the two
tracks. These plants are low, scented and don't mind being covered by
the car for short period of times. I thought it was lovely.

But sorry, I don't use chemicals so I don't have a suggestion beside
spending some time on your hands and knees and removing the unwanted
plants that grows through your paving. I have lots of orange hawkweed,
london pride and aquilegias which seem to have taken over the
dandelions in our paving. I think it's rather nice.

Old 13-09-2006, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Dear All,
due to lack of time I had to ignore the driveway. Now weeds and grass
have taken root to such an extent that quite a powerful pressurised
washer cannot shift them. Any suggestions that could avoid me
spending days on my hands and knees?
Neil

A Karcher. Wicked, will take minutes. Set it to fine jet and apply it at a
distance of nothing from the root. It will drill holes in concrete, let
alone moving the odd weed. The other option is a flamethrower, which I used
on a couple of stubborn ones :-) (actually sycamore trees growing in the
cracks)

They are very cheap from garden centres, just one little bottle of gas and
the job's done.

Old 13-09-2006, 05:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

is a flamethrower good for moss too would you know (on asphalt)? I've not
found an efficient chemical and my back is getting too old to scrape the
stuff away every year

I don't fancy a karcher, can't bring myself to use all that water

ta

Old 13-09-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

ws.net, I, Marvo, say :

is a flamethrower good for moss too would you know (on asphalt)? I've not
found an efficient chemical and my back is getting too old
to scrape the stuff away every year

I don't fancy a karcher, can't bring myself to use all that water

A flamethrower destroys moss, grass, weeds, sycamores and pikeys quite
effectively.

A Karcher doesn't use as much water as you might imagine. If you look, the
water goes through a hosepipe and the fitting is a smallish diameter, you
use less per unit time than with a hose but it is pulsed to produce the
pressure required internally in the machine. Gas burning is as
planet-mauling as water usage.

Use the Karcher. You know you want to! Other advantage is you can safely get
some local teenage lad to do it for you with the Karcher, he will do it for
free because he likes using power machinery :-)

I need advice on this difficulty. Weeds weeds weeds. Miss Perspicacia Tick United Kingdom 12 18-07-2005 09:45 PM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? Jay Chan Gardening 56 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Use Weeds Killer to Keep Weeds Out of My Flower Garden? possibly OT Salty Thumb Gardening 0 22-06-2004 11:04 PM
Driveways geoffban Gardening 5 06-04-2004 07:18 PM
Weeds...Weeds...Weeds J. Farnsworth Wallaby Gardening 4 14-03-2003 11:09 PM