Old 13-09-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Tomatoe blight

"belto" wrote
I have grown the best crop of tomatoes ever,but
I have also had the worst attack of what I think is tomatoe blight.
It has ravage my crop in a short period of time.
Blackened stalks withered leaves and attacked fully formed green fruit.,
What can I do to prevent it happening next year
what do I do with the ravaged plants and fruit
There are still some green fruit should I pick them and ripen or am I Too
late will it appear
and ruin the fruit
Is this a fungus or infection?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly recieved to cure my problem

It's an air born disease that gets washed down onto the plants when it
rains, it needs a bit of moisture on the leaves to do it's work.
I believe that somewhere on the net is a site that warns of it's coming but
it's probably only for the use of farmers.
You can spray with Bordeaux mixture (Copper sulphate and lime) or Dithane to
prevent it but it's no good once the plants are infected.
Alternatively use a Blight resistant variety like "Ferline". After a few
years of growing it I can vouch for it's blight resistance, anyone know of
any others?

See http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp for more
info.

--