Old 13-09-2006, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomatoe blight

I have grown the best crop of tomatoes ever,but
I have also had the worst attack of what I think is tomatoe blight.
It has ravage my crop in a short period of time.
Blackened stalks withered leaves and attacked fully formed green fruit.,
What can I do to prevent it happening next year
what do I do with the ravaged plants and fruit
There are still some green fruit should I pick them and ripen or am I Too
late will it appear
and ruin the fruit
Is this a fungus or infection?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly recieved to cure my problem

Old 13-09-2006, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"belto" wrote in message
k...

Another thought is this an air born or soil problem what do I do about the
soil.
two areas green house grow bags and garden based both seem to have done
equally as well this year with constant attention watering and feeding
producing somelovely tasting english tomatoes

Old 13-09-2006, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"belto" wrote
I have grown the best crop of tomatoes ever,but
I have also had the worst attack of what I think is tomatoe blight.
It has ravage my crop in a short period of time.
Blackened stalks withered leaves and attacked fully formed green fruit.,
What can I do to prevent it happening next year
what do I do with the ravaged plants and fruit
There are still some green fruit should I pick them and ripen or am I Too
late will it appear
and ruin the fruit
Is this a fungus or infection?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly recieved to cure my problem

It's an air born disease that gets washed down onto the plants when it
rains, it needs a bit of moisture on the leaves to do it's work.
I believe that somewhere on the net is a site that warns of it's coming but
it's probably only for the use of farmers.
You can spray with Bordeaux mixture (Copper sulphate and lime) or Dithane to
prevent it but it's no good once the plants are infected.
Alternatively use a Blight resistant variety like "Ferline". After a few
years of growing it I can vouch for it's blight resistance, anyone know of
any others?

See http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp for more
info.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 14-09-2006, 01:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 12:52:30 GMT, "belto"
wrote:

I have grown the best crop of tomatoes ever,but
I have also had the worst attack of what I think is tomatoe blight.
It has ravage my crop in a short period of time.
Blackened stalks withered leaves and attacked fully formed green fruit.,
What can I do to prevent it happening next year
what do I do with the ravaged plants and fruit
There are still some green fruit should I pick them and ripen or am I Too
late will it appear
and ruin the fruit
Is this a fungus or infection?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly recieved to cure my problem

Yes, it is blight and there is not a lot you can do. The green fruit
may look OK but will probably develop blight as they ripen. I have
just had to scrap the crop on my allotment, for about the 7th year
running. I hope to burn the plants and debris, once they dry out, if
we get any more sun. Don't compost the plants or fruit.
I have a copy of an article from HDRA which I can send to you as an
attachment. Is your email address correct when I hit the email
button?
It's all pretty depressing.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-09-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Interesting that the OP and I both have blight on our tomato plants
and are both in the Bristol area.
Where else has the blight hit this year?

Pam in Bristol

Old 18-09-2006, 10:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

Alternatively use a Blight resistant variety like "Ferline". After a few
years of growing it I can vouch for it's blight resistance, anyone know of
any others?

See http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...ato_blight.asp for more
info.

Plantworld said Old Brooks was a good one but quite frankly the fruit is
not good. It hasn't got blight but the largish tomatoes split outwards
from the stalk, no matter how well they are watered or not.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 18-09-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Pam Moore
writes
Interesting that the OP and I both have blight on our tomato plants
and are both in the Bristol area.
Where else has the blight hit this year?

Pam in Bristol

I think it is just starting in Amersham, Bucks., Pam.

I've chucked the plants into the dreaded green bin which I have never
been able to put anything into for the council "fortnightly" collections
of compost able material.
Doesn't seem to have spread to potatoes yet.
This is the fifth year in a row that we seem to have caught it.

janet

Old 23-09-2006, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , jane
writes

The site you want is http://www.bligh****ch.co.uk and you register as
a grower - then you can look at the charts for the year, as well as
get emailed if there are two Smith days in succession (the trigger
point).

jane

Chiltern Hills, 140m above sea level.

Thanks Jane the cream sausage you recommended was good while it lasted
though I thought we were using them ripe but is see they turn almost
orange eventually

I'll print out the site for the gardening Club.

Janet

Old 27-09-2006, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
Interesting that the OP and I both have blight on our tomato plants
and are both in the Bristol area.
Where else has the blight hit this year?

It looks like it has travelled east to datchet, I wopild much rather you had
kept it to yourself!(:-(

Alan

Pam in Bristol

Old 27-09-2006, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Pam Moore
writes
Interesting that the OP and I both have blight on our tomato plants
and are both in the Bristol area.
Where else has the blight hit this year?

Pam in Bristol

I think it is just starting in Amersham, Bucks., Pam.

I've chucked the plants into the dreaded green bin which I have never been
able to put anything into for the council "fortnightly" collections of
compost able material.
Doesn't seem to have spread to potatoes yet.

Odd that you have mentioned potatoes, cos my potato tops are looking very
sad, I assumed it was because they were ready to die off anyway.

Is that likely to be blight as well?

Alan

Old 28-09-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered User

Location: Bristol

My crop of Tumbler in Bristol also suffered blight, as did my Red Alert. The Gardeners Delight seems to be ok tho?
Carrot Cruncher.

Tomatoe blight John Edible Gardening 4 03-09-2014 01:51 AM
Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM
How big should my tomatoe plants be ? (by now) James Bass Gardening 3 28-05-2003 02:08 PM
cherry/grape tomatoe good for container garden? Two x over Edible Gardening 7 27-05-2003 05:56 AM
Blue Tomatoes/Blue tomatoe seeds old whats his name Edible Gardening 2 23-04-2003 06:32 AM