Old 13-09-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Sweet Corn

"Sacha" wrote

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a
stupid question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for
about two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid
October will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just
too late in the year?

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.

Mine are just starting. We had the first this evening.

And there seems to be plenty growing in fields round here.

Well that's probably for maize which is used for animal feed. Cobs for
eating (corn on the cob) are picked when the niblets are still soft and
milky in the centre not rock hard and inedible. :-)
A couple of the "new" gardeners on our allotments left there's much too
long, and unfortunately they only get down there when I don't or I would
have told them, bet they were disappointed.
Actually that gives me an idea for another post...

--
Regards
Bob H