Old 13-09-2006, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NM NM is offline

Default Sweet Corn

Hi All

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a stupid
question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for about two
weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid October
will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just too late in the
year?

I look forward to your commends and many thanks for any help.

Regards
NM

Old 13-09-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NM" wrote in message
Hi All

I am quite new to gardening

So is everyone. Even the 'owners' and 'net nannies' of this newsgroup :-))

They have been here for years and will NOT admit that once, many, many,
many, many, years ago when Adam were a wee lad, they knew nothing
................ even less than you :-((

Welcome to urg. uk.rec.gardening :-))

Mike

--
--------------------------------------
www.rnshipmates.co.uk

Old 13-09-2006, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

NM wrote:
Hi All

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a
stupid question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for
about two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid
October will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just
too late in the year?

I look forward to your commends and many thanks for any help.

Regards
NM

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.
--
ßôyþëtë

Old 13-09-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 BoyPete wrote:

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a
stupid question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for
about two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid
October will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just
too late in the year?

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.

Mine are just starting. We had the first this evening.

David

--
David Rance http://www.mesnil.demon.co.uk
Fido Address: 2:252/110 writing from Caversham, Reading, UK

Old 13-09-2006, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a
stupid question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for
about two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid
October will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just
too late in the year?

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.

Mine are just starting. We had the first this evening.

And there seems to be plenty growing in fields round here.

Well that's probably for maize which is used for animal feed. Cobs for
eating (corn on the cob) are picked when the niblets are still soft and
milky in the centre not rock hard and inedible. :-)
A couple of the "new" gardeners on our allotments left there's much too
long, and unfortunately they only get down there when I don't or I would
have told them, bet they were disappointed.
Actually that gives me an idea for another post...

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 13-09-2006, 11:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 Bob Hobden wrote:

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.

Mine are just starting. We had the first this evening.

And there seems to be plenty growing in fields round here.

Well that's probably for maize which is used for animal feed. Cobs for
eating (corn on the cob) are picked when the niblets are still soft and
milky in the centre not rock hard and inedible. :-)
A couple of the "new" gardeners on our allotments left there's much too
long, and unfortunately they only get down there when I don't or I would
have told them, bet they were disappointed.

Well I have to confess that I sowed mine deliberately late so that they
would be ripe in September, as I'm away for the whole of August. But
those we had this evening weren't quite ripe enough as the "niblets"
were still quite small. I guess they'll all be ready in a couple of
weeks.

David

Old 14-09-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 13/9/06 23:06, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a
stupid question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for
about two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid
October will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just
too late in the year?

Where are you? Sounds a bit late to me......in London UK. I've grown
sweetcorn for a number of years, and they're all eaten by now.

Mine are just starting. We had the first this evening.

And there seems to be plenty growing in fields round here.

Well that's probably for maize which is used for animal feed. Cobs for
eating (corn on the cob) are picked when the niblets are still soft and
milky in the centre not rock hard and inedible. :-)

I'm sure you must be right and that it's for animal feed. It's growing
close to Riverford which has its own organic dairy herd, so that would make
sense.

A couple of the "new" gardeners on our allotments left there's much too
long, and unfortunately they only get down there when I don't or I would
have told them, bet they were disappointed.
Actually that gives me an idea for another post...

I've seen it. Excellent idea, IMO! That's really in the spirit of urg.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 14-09-2006, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike wrote:
"NM" wrote in message
Hi All

I am quite new to gardening

So is everyone. Even the 'owners' and 'net nannies' of this newsgroup :-))

They have been here for years and will NOT admit that once, many, many,
many, many, years ago when Adam were a wee lad, they knew nothing
............... even less than you :-((

Welcome to urg. uk.rec.gardening :-))

Mike

You been skipping your medication again?

Dr Bob
Old 16-09-2006, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"NM" wrote in message
Hi All

I am quite new to gardening so please forgive me if I am asking a stupid
question.

I currently have some sweet corn which have now been in flower for about
two weeks and now the cobs are just starting to develop.

My question is that, if I am lucky and don't get a frost until mid October
will these cobs develop into nice sweet corn or is it just too late in the
year?

I've been trying to find some (cheap) seed, but everywhere I look the only
seed available seems to be hybrids, are there sweetcorn seeds which are not
hybrids?

Alan

Country Gentleman sweet corn Gary The Rookie Farmer Edible Gardening 6 29-06-2003 09:44 PM
Sweet Corn Janice United Kingdom 7 25-06-2003 08:28 PM
Spinach and Sweet Corn Adrian Jones United Kingdom 11 20-05-2003 04:20 PM
Raccoons in the sweet corn Tim B Edible Gardening 4 20-02-2003 12:39 PM
Open pollenated sweet corn zxcvbob Edible Gardening 2 29-01-2003 10:30 PM