Old 15-09-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rhiannon Macfie Miller Rhiannon Macfie Miller is offline

Default Butternut Squash?

sam wrote:
Careful,Les, they can rampage all over the place.Pinch out the growing
tips when you think you've got enough.

Oo, that's a good idea. My two plants have got into the courgettes, the
parsnips, the cabbages and the lawn; north, south, east and west
respectively.

Did you know that they can climb? They have tendrils and are much
more manageable that way.

I found that out when they started climbing the courgettes and the
pigeon nets for the cabbages! Next year I might give them a net of
their own to climb.

Mine are just flowering and I don't expect a crop until next month,

but
they are worth waiting for. Enjoy !

Mine (Butternut Sprinter) have set several fruit, some of which are
quite large; they're still green though. I don't mind waiting, as I
still have more than enough courgettes! I am a little worried that
frost might damage the fruit if they're still out there when the weather
gets cold though.

Rhiannon