Old 13-09-2006, 03:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Butternut Squash?

Have one of these springing up from homemade compost I put on the garden
from the seeds of a Butternut Squash scraped into the compost bin. We put
all our fruit and veg seeds in there for just this eventuality.

It's a truly splendid, massive, trailing plant with huge leaves, bright
yellow flowers and a scrambling, trailing habit. But it's only just setting
squashes. It seems a little late in the year. How long do they take to
develop and might we get away with it here in the south?

Les, Folkestone, Kent

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old 13-09-2006, 10:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
: It's a truly splendid, massive, trailing plant with huge leaves, bright
: yellow flowers and a scrambling, trailing habit. But it's only just
setting
: squashes. It seems a little late in the year. How long do they take to
: develop and might we get away with it here in the south?
:
: Les, Folkestone, Kent
:
They are no problem in the south, they take normal sort of times to develop
over the summer , which means I haven't taken that much notice of how long,
except that it's not something that runs out of time if planted after frost
has gone.

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 13-09-2006, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
sam sam is offline

Les Hemmings wrote:

It's a truly splendid, massive, trailing plant with huge leaves, bright
yellow flowers and a scrambling, trailing habit. But it's only just setting
squashes. It seems a little late in the year. How long do they take to
develop and might we get away with it here in the south?

Careful,Les, they can rampage all over the place.Pinch out the growing
tips when you think you've got enough.
Did you know that they can climb? They have tendrils and are much
more manageable that way.
Mine are just flowering and I don't expect a crop until next month, but
they are worth waiting for. Enjoy !

Old 13-09-2006, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sam wrote:
Les Hemmings wrote:

It's a truly splendid, massive, trailing plant with huge leaves,
bright yellow flowers and a scrambling, trailing habit. But it's
only just setting squashes. It seems a little late in the year. How
long do they take to develop and might we get away with it here in
the south?

Careful,Les, they can rampage all over the place.Pinch out the growing
tips when you think you've got enough.
Did you know that they can climb? They have tendrils and are much
more manageable that way.
Mine are just flowering and I don't expect a crop until next month,
but they are worth waiting for. Enjoy !

I think the pinching out is a good idea.. it must be the fastest growing
plant i have ever grown. I have giant, biennial monocarpic 15ft blue spire
echiums (sp?), huge leaved Paulownia Tormentosa (single rod style), a two
year old walnut tree now at 5ft with very dramatic foliage, eddoes from the
fruit and veg shop (beautiful foliage plant, just bung a few tubers in and
stand well back!) and loads of Morning Glory. I love the "jungle" look and
this squash fits right in!

But "Rampant" is a major understatement. It's the twirling tendrils it
throws out to lassoo other plants with that gives it a real active,
predatory plant feel... well worth a try if you have the space!

Les

Old 15-09-2006, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

sam wrote:
Careful,Les, they can rampage all over the place.Pinch out the growing
tips when you think you've got enough.

Oo, that's a good idea. My two plants have got into the courgettes, the
parsnips, the cabbages and the lawn; north, south, east and west
respectively.

Did you know that they can climb? They have tendrils and are much
more manageable that way.

I found that out when they started climbing the courgettes and the
pigeon nets for the cabbages! Next year I might give them a net of
their own to climb.

Mine are just flowering and I don't expect a crop until next month,

but
they are worth waiting for. Enjoy !

Mine (Butternut Sprinter) have set several fruit, some of which are
quite large; they're still green though. I don't mind waiting, as I
still have more than enough courgettes! I am a little worried that
frost might damage the fruit if they're still out there when the weather
gets cold though.

Rhiannon