Old 16-09-2006, 02:19 AM posted to rec.ponds
Köi-Lö[_3_] Köi-Lö[_3_] is offline

Default Washing plastic barrels?

"Cleokatra" wrote in message
I bought some barrels for my pond filter. SO how do I wash them to make
sure they are fish safe? They were supposed to be food safe, but who nows.
Although they are the same shape, they did not have the same contents.

Do you know what was actually in them? If it was food then they should be
safe with a good rinse. If there's still some food residue use a Toughie
Pad after soaking the barrels awhile.

I was going to Pressure Wash them, soak in water and bleach, (2 days), add
baking soda for a bit and wash again. Perhaps with a does of
dechlorinator.

Bleach? If harmful chemicals were in them I doubt Bleach would remove it.
--
KL....
Frugal ponding since 1995.