Old 16-09-2006, 02:27 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Poisoning Ivy

"Jonno" wrote in message
Ms Leebee wrote:
Hi all.

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by invasive,
crazy, overgrown ivy. We filled 2 skips with it ( and other junk ), and
still have to dig out the trunks, which we will do when the fences come
down to be replaced, in a few weeks time.

Anyway, the ivy has been there so long, I keep finding new underground
shoots, trying to re-establish themselves. The sawn-off trunks are
trying to regrow, etc etc. I have been told the only thing to do with
ivy is to poison it, however I am concerned about poisoning the soil, and
affecting the trees I will eventually want to grow along the new
fenceline.

1. - Will I be able to rid myself of ivy by simply ripping it all out (
to the best of my ability )
2. - If I need poison, is there a method or type of poison that will only
affect the ivy ?
3. - If I need poison, how do I apply it ?
4. - Any other advice or alternatives/tricks welcome

Thanks in advance.

Re Ivy.
Be very careful with this stuff.
You will get itchiness after exposure to it, and it seems that exposure is
cumulative and you wonder why you are itching.

See these websites regarding this
It appears that Ivy's are related to the poisom Ivy from America and were
grown here at one point....... They looked so nice......

Unknown itchiness
http://www.healthfirst.net.au/content/view/1121/42/

Contact allergies with plants local Aussie site
http://www.allergycapital.com.au/Pages/contactderm.html

Revenge of the plants
http://ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. It pays to get rid of it whatever it
is. My neighbour suffered badly and I didnt realise why I was always
itchy.
Turns out I was in contact with it and didnt realise it, and it turns
itchy after exposure, a few days mostly, which leaves you puzzled...
Then when someone who really reacts to the stuff gets it, the penny
drops....

I suffer badly from hayfever whenever I get in contact with ivy. Is rather
embarassing when working in someones garden and you have tears streaming
down your face and absolutely no control over it. Antihistamines are so good
then. I was told it was the dust on the back of the leaves containing small
mites.

I am glad I don't come up in welts. I now tell people get someone else to do
there ivy.

Cheers

Richard