Old 16-09-2006, 09:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Poisoning Ivy

Ms Leebee wrote:
Hi all.

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by invasive, crazy,
overgrown ivy. We filled 2 skips with it ( and other junk ), and still have
to dig out the trunks, which we will do when the fences come down to be
replaced, in a few weeks time.

Anyway, the ivy has been there so long, I keep finding new underground
shoots, trying to re-establish themselves. The sawn-off trunks are trying
to regrow, etc etc. I have been told the only thing to do with ivy is to
poison it, however I am concerned about poisoning the soil, and affecting
the trees I will eventually want to grow along the new fenceline.

1. - Will I be able to rid myself of ivy by simply ripping it all out ( to
the best of my ability )
2. - If I need poison, is there a method or type of poison that will only
affect the ivy ?
3. - If I need poison, how do I apply it ?
4. - Any other advice or alternatives/tricks welcome

Thanks in advance.

Re Ivy.
Be very careful with this stuff.
You will get itchiness after exposure to it, and it seems that exposure
is cumulative and you wonder why you are itching.

See these websites regarding this
It appears that Ivy's are related to the poisom Ivy from America and
were grown here at one point....... They looked so nice......

Unknown itchiness
http://www.healthfirst.net.au/content/view/1121/42/

Contact allergies with plants local Aussie site
http://www.allergycapital.com.au/Pages/contactderm.html

Revenge of the plants
http://ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. It pays to get rid of it whatever
it is. My neighbour suffered badly and I didnt realise why I was always
itchy.
Turns out I was in contact with it and didnt realise it, and it turns
itchy after exposure, a few days mostly, which leaves you puzzled...
Then when someone who really reacts to the stuff gets it, the penny
drops....
Old 16-09-2006, 02:27 PM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Ms Leebee wrote:
[...]

I suffer badly from hayfever whenever I get in contact with ivy. Is rather
embarassing when working in someones garden and you have tears streaming
down your face and absolutely no control over it. Antihistamines are so good
then. I was told it was the dust on the back of the leaves containing small
mites.

I am glad I don't come up in welts. I now tell people get someone else to do
there ivy.

Cheers

Richard

Old 16-09-2006, 03:18 PM posted to aus.gardens

Loosecanon wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

Ms Leebee wrote:

[...]

Mites could be sucking the oil in the leaves...
The problem is apparently that there is some kind of oil which causes
the reactions. whatever, I try and stay clear of it now. also burning
the ivy causes even worse problems..
The Howard government says anyone can grab a mower and cut grass and
have a job (in this drought?), but they havent seen the effects this
stuff can have on you when you do.. Any vegetation can set it of at
times.... Yeah hayfever etc crazy all over itchy face, all over body
itchiness, a real problem when driving, it gets you all of a sudden....

Heres some details of it....
From the website http://www.cwss-scm.ca/Weeds/poisonous_weeds.htm

Anacardiaceae (cashew family)

The roots, stems, leaves and fruits of the following Rhus species
contain an oil that produces an irritating dermatitis in humans after an
initial sensitization. Sensitivity to the poisonous oil varies greatly
from person to person, and even during different periods in the same
persons lifetime. Humans are not born sensitive to the oil, and
therefore are not affected with the dermatitis on first contact with the
plants. However, most people can be sensitized after a single contact.
In general, children are more sensitive than adults, and people with a
light skin react more than those with a pigmented skin. Since the
poisonous oil must contact the cells beneath the skin layer, the
dermatitis is most common and most severe in areas with thin skin. All
of the following Rhus species have clusters of yellow flowers and,
later, whitish berries. Colored illustrations of all poisonous Rhus taxa
here.

Rhus diversiloba Torr. & Gray- western poison-oak
Usually a trailing vine, confined to the extreme west coast of the
United States and southern coast of British Columbia. Native to North
America.

Rhus radicans L. var. negundo (Greene) G. A. Mulligan- central poison-ivy
Usually a climbing vine; most common in in the north-central United
States and extreme southern Canada.

Rhus radicans L. var. radicans- eastern poison-ivy
Usually a climbing vine; most common in the eastern United States and
southeastern Canada. Native to North America.

Rhus radicans L. var. rydbergii (Small ex Rydb.) Rehd.- Rydberg’s poison-ivy
A trailing vine; most common in the northern United States and southern
Canada.

Rhus vernix L.- poison sumac
Tall shrub to 20 feet (6m.) high; occasional in swamps and wet locations
in the eastern United States, southern Ontario and southwestern Quebec.
Old 17-09-2006, 05:48 AM posted to aus.gardens

"Jonno" wrote in message
Ms Leebee wrote:

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by

invasive, crazy,
overgrown ivy.

Re Ivy.
Be very careful with this stuff.
You will get itchiness after exposure to it, and it seems that

exposure
is cumulative and you wonder why you are itching.

See these websites regarding this
It appears that Ivy's are related to the poisom Ivy from America and
were grown here at one point....... They looked so nice......

Huh? How is it related? Poison ivy is called "toxicodendron
radicans" and ivy is called "hedera helix".
Your post made me quite curious so I went off to do a bit of google
hunt.
Poison ivy is from the Anacardiaceae family which is the Sumac family
whilst ivy is from the Araliaceae family.

I can't see any or find connection between the two families.

I found this site with lots of pics of poison ivy and I have to say
that I've be very surprised if any gardener in Aus would make a
mistake between what is an ivy and what is a poison ivy:
http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/picqna.html
Poison ivy looks nothing like a "normal" ivy.

Unknown itchiness
http://www.healthfirst.net.au/content/view/1121/42/

The abovementioned site says that poison ivy isn't prevalent in Aus
(not that it doesn't occur but that it isn't prevalent).

Contact allergies with plants local Aussie site
http://www.allergycapital.com.au/Pages/contactderm.html

The abovementioned site doesn't even mention poison ivy. It's just
about allergies (but boy oh boy are there some nasty reaction there).

Revenge of the plants
http://ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html

The pics on this site clearly show that poison ivy is nothing like
normal old domestic ivy.

Anyway enough of the negative stuff. It pays to get rid of it

whatever
it is. My neighbour suffered badly and I didnt realise why I was

always
itchy.
Turns out I was in contact with it and didnt realise it, and it

turns
itchy after exposure, a few days mostly, which leaves you puzzled...
Then when someone who really reacts to the stuff gets it, the penny
drops....

An allergic reaction is certainly possible but what were you really
exposed to? Poison ivy or ivy?

Old 17-09-2006, 09:41 AM posted to aus.gardens

Farm1 wrote:
"Jonno" wrote in message

Ms Leebee wrote:

[...]

Thats the problem, I reckon it was "hedera helix" Doctors say "hedera
helix" is also a problem. Still after the reaction I'm not going near
any of the stuff. Still similar reactions... After a while, worse when
sweating...
Its handy to file the info though...

Poisoning Ivy Andrew Gabb Australia 2 23-09-2006 10:54 AM
Poisoning Ivy Jen Australia 1 14-09-2006 02:21 PM
Poisoning Ivy Farm1 Australia 0 14-09-2006 02:17 PM
Poisoning Ivy Terryc Australia 0 14-09-2006 08:58 AM
Poisoning snails - poisoning birds? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 31 10-04-2004 06:04 PM