Old 16-09-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default Huge blue butterfly

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

I think that has to be an escapee.
I am not sure there is even anything that size and colour in NW Europe never
mind UK but that is from ancient memories of flicking through a copy of
Higgins and Riley (not relatives) and their Collins Guide.
Sounds impressive.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk