Old 16-09-2006, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Huge blue butterfly

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

I think that has to be an escapee.
I am not sure there is even anything that size and colour in NW Europe never
mind UK but that is from ancient memories of flicking through a copy of
Higgins and Riley (not relatives) and their Collins Guide.
Sounds impressive.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 16-09-2006, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/06 15:17, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

I think that has to be an escapee.
I am not sure there is even anything that size and colour in NW Europe never
mind UK but that is from ancient memories of flicking through a copy of
Higgins and Riley (not relatives) and their Collins Guide.
Sounds impressive.

Thanks, Des. I think it must have escaped, somehow. I looked up the 'large
blue' Maculinea arion, which has been reintroduced into Cornwall but that is
only 4cm across, so doesn't seem to come anywhere near this. it would be
rather exciting if this one lays eggs in one of the green houses, though!

Old 16-09-2006, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:19:14 +0100, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.

Could it be the blue monarch butterfly? May not have the name exactly right,
but we saw such a one some years ago on Scilly, and were told that's what it
was and it was an unusual sighting.

Presumably the hot summer may have tilted things a bit.

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
http://www.whitton-stmarys.org.uk

Old 16-09-2006, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least 5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it
was described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty
big. Does anyone know what that might be or whether we have an escapee
from the Buckfastleigh butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies
roam, anyway? Any (polite) suggestions would be welcomed as to ID

Could they have mistaken a hawkmoth for a butterfly? They are pretty
big, and I think there is a blue one ...

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 16-09-2006, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

A Blue Underwing moth perhaps?

http://www.wwb.co.uk/shop/product_in...ff8afa1f9e44d5

Otherwise it's an non-native escapee.

Old 16-09-2006, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/06 17:28, in article , "Russel Sprout"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least
5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it was
described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration
of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty big. Does
anyone
know what that might be or whether we have an escapee from the
Buckfastleigh
butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies roam, anyway? Any (polite)
suggestions would be welcomed as to ID.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

A Blue Underwing moth perhaps?

http://www.wwb.co.uk/shop/product_in...d=87a064ea011d
c41976ff8afa1f9e44d5

Otherwise it's an non-native escapee.

I'll print that photo off and show it to the staff that saw the mystery one.
Blue and really huge was repeated again today! But the photo of that says
'extinct' - which would of course make it lovely if it was that one!

Old 16-09-2006, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/06 15:33, in article , "Malcolm"
wrote:

In article , Sacha
writes
On 16/9/06 15:17, in article , "Des
Higgins" wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
[...]

Surely that depends on what the caterpillars feed on. They could be
voracious eaters of your favourite plants!!

I think we could safely sacrifice one or two for something so exotic! I've
often thought how lovely it would be to make safe the 'small double' which
has a lot of things growing in there and release butterflies into it. I'll
keep working on Ray!

You've certainly got an escapee as its description doesn't fit anything
European, nor North American, as far as I know, but although
Buckfastleigh is an obvious source, it doesn't have to have come from
that close. Monach butterflies regularly cross the Atlantic, and Red
Admirals, Painted Ladies, Clouded Yellows, etc., reach us every year
from southern France.

Phone Buckfastleigh and ask them.

Good idea or, when we get back from holiday, we'll go down there and have a
look.

Old 16-09-2006, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I'll print that photo off and show it to the staff that saw the mystery one.
Blue and really huge was repeated again today! But the photo of that says
'extinct' - which would of course make it lovely if it was that one!

Maculinea arion: Extinct in the 50s, loss of habitat and intense
farming was the cause. It has since been re-established successfully at
five sites in south west England using Swedish stock ... Size 43mm.

Old 16-09-2006, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ..
Fluttering around the garden and one of the green houses yesterday, at
least 5 people saw a very large sky blue butterfly. By very large, it
was described as being about 5 or 6" across! Even allowing for the
exaggeration of memory and reducing that to 3 or 4", it's still pretty
big. Does anyone know what that might be or whether we have an escapee
from the Buckfastleigh butterfly farm? And how far can butterflies
roam, anyway? Any (polite) suggestions would be welcomed as to ID

Could they have mistaken a hawkmoth for a butterfly? They are pretty
big, and I think there is a blue one ...

I'm trying to find an illustration with size attached. I'll hunt for the
insect book....

I do hope you find what it is and where it's come from. We saw, two years
running on our old allotment site, a large jet black butterfly with white
dots along it's wind edges, and which flew unlike a normal butterfly but
fast and straight like a bird, but never managed to track the species down
other than it wasn't European.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 16-09-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
I do hope you find what it is and where it's come from. We saw, two years
running on our old allotment site, a large jet black butterfly with white
dots along it's wind edges, and which flew unlike a normal butterfly but
fast and straight like a bird, but never managed to track the species down
other than it wasn't European.

I'm sure you looked into it - but (I'm papillon crazy) have you looked
at the Peppered moth. It's characteristics is that the black varied
from jet black with white dots on the edges to grey and peppered with
white, hence the name. What was the underwings colour? (I'm hoping one
day to see a white plume moth - I'm keeping some bindweeds in the edges
for it as it feeds and lives. At least it's a reason to give to the
neighbours for keeping the bindweeds ....).

Old 16-09-2006, 07:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/9/06 18:27, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote ..
[...]

I think Des's suggestion of the Maculinea arion sounds hopeful but until I
can show it to some of those who saw it, I can't be sure, of course. I've
scoured the place this afternoon in the hope of seeing it, only to have a
pair of cabbage whites dancing mockingly above my head!

Old 16-09-2006, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
I think Des's suggestion of the Maculinea arion

Des did not suggest this. You did, then I told you it wasn't extinct
anymore but reintroduced in the 90s in your part of the world on 5
sites.