Old 17-09-2006, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Chas Hurst Chas Hurst is offline

Default She goes 10 yo Toro 8HP snowblower

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on
it - hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to
get it running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I
can get the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Pulled the gas line off the shut-off valve and let the old gas drain
out. Dropped the bowl and gas ran out through the float valve so I
figured that was OK. Cleaned the bowl out. Blasted a little carb
cleaner through the main jet. Put it back together & put a little fresh
gas in. Plugged it in and - lo and behold, she fired right off. Ran a
little rough so I opened up the main jet a little - and now I'll just
change the oil and run it. Well - two more things - the auger isn't
disengaging properly. If I get a chance I might look into it but more
than likely I'll run it and see if it loosens up. And when the shift
lever is positioned in "1st" speed forward it goes in reverse (damn near
backed over me) LOL.

There ya go. Does it have the "record player" trans?

Never heard that expression - but I assume you mean the large steel drive
disk with a smaller rubber wheel that slides across the face. Probably
but I haven't opened it up yet. There is probably an adjustment in the
long rod that goes from the handle down to the entry in the box but like I
said, I haven't really looked it over. One of my many shortcomings is
that if I get it running I'm ready to move on to the next project (and she
was waiting for me )

That's the one. My Simplicity did something similar when the wheel with the
rubber tire siezed onto it's shaft.
Good luck with your next project. It'll be a few days before the snow flies.