Old 16-09-2006, 12:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default 10 yo Toro 8HP snowblower

Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get the
old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Old 16-09-2006, 12:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get
the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

What are the odds? 5/2 no go.
Old 16-09-2006, 01:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get
the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Old gas won't be the problem. A varnished shut main jet or stuck float will
be more likely.
A good machine IIRC.

Old 16-09-2006, 02:09 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get
the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Old gas won't be the problem. A varnished shut main jet or stuck float
will be more likely.
A good machine IIRC.

Yup - when I said "old gas" I really meant including cleaning it out. I'll
drop the bowl and disconnect the line in and squirt a little carb cleaner
thru the inlet. Try to start and if that doesn't work, take the carb off
and soak it.

Old 16-09-2006, 02:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it
- hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get
it running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I
can get the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Old gas won't be the problem. A varnished shut main jet or stuck float
will be more likely.
A good machine IIRC.

Yup - when I said "old gas" I really meant including cleaning it out.
I'll drop the bowl and disconnect the line in and squirt a little carb
cleaner thru the inlet. Try to start and if that doesn't work, take the
carb off and soak it.

You have recoil start rope on hand too? g
Old 16-09-2006, 02:20 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Steveo" wrote in message
"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it
- hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get
it running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I
can get the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Old gas won't be the problem. A varnished shut main jet or stuck float
will be more likely.
A good machine IIRC.

Yup - when I said "old gas" I really meant including cleaning it out.
I'll drop the bowl and disconnect the line in and squirt a little carb
cleaner thru the inlet. Try to start and if that doesn't work, take the
carb off and soak it.

You have recoil start rope on hand too? g

Nope - I usually push them down a hill and pop the clutch to start them.

Old 16-09-2006, 02:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote:
"Steveo" wrote in message
You have recoil start rope on hand too? g

Nope - I usually push them down a hill and pop the clutch to start them.

Living in that mansion on the hill has its perks?
Old 17-09-2006, 12:44 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default She goes 10 yo Toro 8HP snowblower

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get
the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Pulled the gas line off the shut-off valve and let the old gas drain out.
Dropped the bowl and gas ran out through the float valve so I figured that
was OK. Cleaned the bowl out. Blasted a little carb cleaner through the
main jet. Put it back together & put a little fresh gas in. Plugged it in
and - lo and behold, she fired right off. Ran a little rough so I opened up
the main jet a little - and now I'll just change the oil and run it. Well -
two more things - the auger isn't disengaging properly. If I get a chance I
might look into it but more than likely I'll run it and see if it loosens
up. And when the shift lever is positioned in "1st" speed forward it goes
in reverse (damn near backed over me) LOL.

Old 17-09-2006, 01:11 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

[...]

There ya go. Does it have the "record player" trans?

Old 17-09-2006, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Never heard that expression - but I assume you mean the large steel drive
disk with a smaller rubber wheel that slides across the face. Probably but
I haven't opened it up yet. There is probably an adjustment in the long rod
that goes from the handle down to the entry in the box but like I said, I
haven't really looked it over. One of my many shortcomings is that if I get
it running I'm ready to move on to the next project (and she was waiting for
me )

Old 17-09-2006, 02:39 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

That's the one. My Simplicity did something similar when the wheel with the
rubber tire siezed onto it's shaft.
Good luck with your next project. It'll be a few days before the snow flies.

Old 17-09-2006, 02:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in message
Owned by a couple in their 80's. Said it had less than 10 hours on it -
hasn't run in 3 years. Tomorrow I get a first shot at trying to get it
running. It's been in a garage and it has electric start. If I can get
the old gas cleaned out it should start right up.

Congrats on getting it to run.
I picked up a bushwacker and after a carb kit it runs, but still runs rough.

Old 8HP Wards Srgnt Billko Lawns 4 11-11-2006 03:31 AM
8HP Briggs Flywheel Key Shearing - any ideas? KeithShum Lawns 3 12-09-2004 08:59 PM
snowblower- tires Tim Lawns 3 11-02-2003 03:55 AM
what height to set snowblower skids at? Tim Lawns 4 05-02-2003 09:55 AM
Snowblower for wash dc area allan Lawns 3 11-12-2002 09:37 PM