Old 21-03-2003, 03:44 AM
Jay Sinclair

Default [IBC] Rosemary

Nina Shishkoff wrote:

Rosemary is a shrub in its native habitat, the Mediterranean, and has
wonderful properties for bonsai.... except it is hard to keep alive outside of
its proper zone. For me, that is. If I keep it outside in zone 6.5, it will
live about 4
years before a cold spell kills it. If I bring it indoors, its fussy
water requirements eventually defeat me.

I've heard before that rosemary is difficult to keep alive indoors, but that has
not been my experience. I bring them in at about the same time as my serissa, when
temperatures are dropping into the 30's F, and put them under lights in my cool
(50's) basement. They are not bonsai, and are in good, light potting soil. I water
them when I think of it, which works out to about every week or two, and under this
benign neglect they do just fine. I just moved them back outdoors, and one of them
was in bloom. The other had been severely cut back in the fall, and didn't bloom
this winter, but survived and appears healthy.

Jay
Zone 5-ish, Michigan

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++