Old 17-09-2006, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens
Andrew Gabb Andrew Gabb is offline

Default Poisoning Ivy

Use tree/blackberry killer. You cut the ivy back to about 30cm, then
paint it on the trunks/stems. Do the same as new shoots come up. It
might take a year to two, but it works. Remember that ivy has a
serious underground system, so you need a systemic poison. But
Roundup etc. just bounces off it.

We now have glory vine growing where the ivy was. Anyone know how to
kill vines? (only joking, folks - they're dead easy)

Andrew

Ms Leebee wrote:

Hi all.

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by invasive, crazy,
overgrown ivy. We filled 2 skips with it ( and other junk ), and still have
to dig out the trunks, which we will do when the fences come down to be
replaced, in a few weeks time.

Anyway, the ivy has been there so long, I keep finding new underground
shoots, trying to re-establish themselves. The sawn-off trunks are trying
to regrow, etc etc. I have been told the only thing to do with ivy is to
poison it, however I am concerned about poisoning the soil, and affecting
the trees I will eventually want to grow along the new fenceline.

1. - Will I be able to rid myself of ivy by simply ripping it all out ( to
the best of my ability )
2. - If I need poison, is there a method or type of poison that will only
affect the ivy ?
3. - If I need poison, how do I apply it ?
4. - Any other advice or alternatives/tricks welcome

Thanks in advance.

--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia