Old 17-09-2006, 01:16 PM posted to aus.gardens

Default Poisoning Ivy

Use tree/blackberry killer. You cut the ivy back to about 30cm, then
paint it on the trunks/stems. Do the same as new shoots come up. It
might take a year to two, but it works. Remember that ivy has a
serious underground system, so you need a systemic poison. But
Roundup etc. just bounces off it.

We now have glory vine growing where the ivy was. Anyone know how to
kill vines? (only joking, folks - they're dead easy)

Andrew

Ms Leebee wrote:

Hi all.

We moved into a house that has had its fencelines hacked by invasive, crazy,
overgrown ivy. We filled 2 skips with it ( and other junk ), and still have
to dig out the trunks, which we will do when the fences come down to be
replaced, in a few weeks time.

Anyway, the ivy has been there so long, I keep finding new underground
shoots, trying to re-establish themselves. The sawn-off trunks are trying
to regrow, etc etc. I have been told the only thing to do with ivy is to
poison it, however I am concerned about poisoning the soil, and affecting
the trees I will eventually want to grow along the new fenceline.

1. - Will I be able to rid myself of ivy by simply ripping it all out ( to
the best of my ability )
2. - If I need poison, is there a method or type of poison that will only
affect the ivy ?
3. - If I need poison, how do I apply it ?
4. - Any other advice or alternatives/tricks welcome

Thanks in advance.

--
Andrew Gabb
email: Adelaide, South Australia
Old 17-09-2006, 05:39 PM posted to aus.gardens

Andrew Gabb wrote:
Use tree/blackberry killer. You cut the ivy back to about 30cm, then
paint it on the trunks/stems. Do the same as new shoots come up. It
might take a year to two, but it works. Remember that ivy has a serious
underground system, so you need a systemic poison. But Roundup etc. just
bounces off it.

[pruned]

Use Roundup.

Find the runners of the ivy - dig for them if you have to - then using,
say, a 5mm[0] drill bit drill holes in the runners but do not drill all
the way thru, somewhere 1/2 way would be good. Then "inject" the holes
with undiluted roundup using an old syringe (ask your local vet if he
can give you one or two, or you could try the chemist I guess); plug the
holes up with a bit of chewing gum or Blue Tack to keep the Roundup in
and any moisture away from the Roundup.

Because ivy has underground runners which root at regular intervals you
will need to drill the holes in as many places as you can. And you will
need to repeat the process for those runners which you missed the first
time 'round.

You can use this same method on blackberry.

Got rid of my ivy and blackberry this way.

[0] use a drill size appropriate to the diameter of the runner you find
- a small diameter runner will need a smaller drill bit.

Cheers.

--
Rarely is the question asked: Is our children learning.

George W Bush June 2000

Old 23-09-2006, 10:54 AM posted to aus.gardens

Ms Leebee wrote:
Thanks all.
Lots of good advice & tips.

Dh tried the drilling and roundup method to begin with. Plant seems
unphased ( ha ! ).
He is bringing home some blackberry killer tonight.

Thanks again !

Yeah, I tried the give it inject the drug approach too. It liked them.
Blackberry killer and Round up applied a few times, with some proper
detergent for plants meant to overcome the glossy leaves will usually do
the trick. Other wise napalm and weapons of mass destruction.

Poisoning Ivy Jonno Australia 4 17-09-2006 09:41 AM
Poisoning Ivy Jen Australia 1 14-09-2006 02:21 PM
Poisoning Ivy Farm1 Australia 0 14-09-2006 02:17 PM
Poisoning Ivy Terryc Australia 0 14-09-2006 08:58 AM
Poisoning snails - poisoning birds? Andy Hunt United Kingdom 31 10-04-2004 06:04 PM