Old 17-09-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce La Puce is offline

Default Pruning budleja - best time?

Paul wrote:
Hi
What's the panel's advice on the best time of year for cutting back budleja?
I've previously read advice of 'immediately after flowering' (about now) and
an alternative view of 'around February'.
I feel that the plants are so vigorous that to cut back now would result in
immediate re-growth that could suffer during the winter frosts,
alternatively to leave it until February could mean they don't have
sufficient time to grow back for next season's flowering.
Any advice?

The reasons for cutting after flowering is to tidy it up and encourage
smaller flowers. Also it's to protect the plant from severe winds in
winter where tall long branches would get broken and damage. What I do
is around November/December, once the birds have pecked and enjoyed the
seeds (and that my yellow striped snails have gone from it, but that's
another story) I cut the long and crossed branches to help it survive
gales. In early March I cut right to the ground. I have 3 plants and
they have enjoyed that treatment for years.