Old 17-09-2006, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Pruning budleja - best time?

Hi

What's the panel's advice on the best time of year for cutting back budleja?

I've previously read advice of 'immediately after flowering' (about now) and
an alternative view of 'around February'.

I feel that the plants are so vigorous that to cut back now would result in
immediate re-growth that could suffer during the winter frosts,
alternatively to leave it until February could mean they don't have
sufficient time to grow back for next season's flowering.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

Old 17-09-2006, 12:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Paul wrote:
Hi
What's the panel's advice on the best time of year for cutting back budleja?
I've previously read advice of 'immediately after flowering' (about now) and
an alternative view of 'around February'.
I feel that the plants are so vigorous that to cut back now would result in
immediate re-growth that could suffer during the winter frosts,
alternatively to leave it until February could mean they don't have
sufficient time to grow back for next season's flowering.
Any advice?

The reasons for cutting after flowering is to tidy it up and encourage
smaller flowers. Also it's to protect the plant from severe winds in
winter where tall long branches would get broken and damage. What I do
is around November/December, once the birds have pecked and enjoyed the
seeds (and that my yellow striped snails have gone from it, but that's
another story) I cut the long and crossed branches to help it survive
gales. In early March I cut right to the ground. I have 3 plants and
they have enjoyed that treatment for years.

Old 17-09-2006, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Paul" paul.crisp[at]dsl[dot]pipex[dot]com wrote in message
Hi

What's the panel's advice on the best time of year for cutting back
budleja?

I've previously read advice of 'immediately after flowering' (about now)
and an alternative view of 'around February'.

I feel that the plants are so vigorous that to cut back now would result
in immediate re-growth that could suffer during the winter frosts,
alternatively to leave it until February could mean they don't have
sufficient time to grow back for next season's flowering.

Any advice?

Many thanks in advance

Paul

I cut mine (and other's) down to just above ground level usually late
February/March depending on weather.
Buddleia flowers on current seasons growth so it is the new shoots coming up
which carry the flowers.
Always have a nice tidy shrub covered in flowers and which doesn't get too
large and straggly....unlike the neighbours' one.

Old 17-09-2006, 08:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Many thanks for the answers - I have three plants (davidii) - that are much
better specimens than any I've seen locally so I guess I must be doing
something right.

They are in a relatively sheltered corner spot so never get wind damaged
(unlike the pampas spikes at the opposite end of the garden) ........ so I
think I'll wait until Feb/March to give the bird chance to enjoy the seeds.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Paul
writes
Many thanks for the answers - I have three plants (davidii) - that are much
better specimens than any I've seen locally so I guess I must be doing
something right.

They are in a relatively sheltered corner spot so never get wind damaged
(unlike the pampas spikes at the opposite end of the garden) ........ so I
think I'll wait until Feb/March to give the bird chance to enjoy the seeds.

I saw a lovely Buddleia last Sunday, cross between I think, crispa and
farrerii (sp?) Very pretty, grown very short and looks stunning even
without flowers, especially in a darker bed.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 19-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Paterson
Buddleia flowers on current seasons growth so it is the new shoots coming up which carry the flowers.
Not all buddleias flower on current seasons growth. B. globosa, frinstance, flowers on old growth.

Best time to spray nettles and brambles? Best product Chris Wilson[_2_] United Kingdom 10 24-03-2008 08:04 PM
there Petra will follow the request, and if Madeleine not sails it too, the suffering will destroy from time to time the deaf cottage Josef P. Madren Ponds 0 14-11-2007 05:36 AM
Budleja - best planting time doobydoobydo United Kingdom 1 15-09-2006 10:51 PM
Budleja James Duff Gardening 8 21-07-2003 05:22 PM
Budleja cultivars & Wildlife Paul Kelly United Kingdom 3 04-03-2003 07:46 PM