Old 18-09-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default What's in a Genus?

And to make it even more confusing some of the stores will put a tag that
only says "Oncidium Orchid" on a plant indicating it's in the Oncidium
alliance.

Gene

"Ray" wrote in message
There is no way to know what genera are in the background just by looking

at
them. In the onciidinae intergenerics you mentioned, it gets real tough.

Degarmoara = brassia x miltonia x odontoglossum
Vuylstekeara = cochlioda x miltonia x odontoglossum
Colmanara = oncidium x miltonia x odontoglossum

Then when the taxonomists play around, it can get more confusing:
Odontocidium Wildcat used to be a colmanara, but the taxonomists decided
that the Miltonia fuscatum in the background was actually an oncidium.

"Bruce Musgrove" wrote in message
Looking at some of my No ID orchids, that helpfull users on this game

have
named for me, got me to wondering

Some items that I posted as a DGMRA no name (based on the visuals of the
Pseudobulb) have been ID as Odontocidium's . I also have Vulystekeara's
which look so simialr, I do not know what the difference is.

Any pointers to sites that can give tutorials, or books? The Ortho

books
I have don't get that specific?

Sigh. Eventually You can quite holding my hand