Old 17-09-2006, 05:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What's in a Genus?

Looking at some of my No ID orchids, that helpfull users on this game have
named for me, got me to wondering

Some items that I posted as a DGMRA no name (based on the visuals of the
Pseudobulb) have been ID as Odontocidium's . I also have Vulystekeara's
which look so simialr, I do not know what the difference is.

Any pointers to sites that can give tutorials, or books? The Ortho books I
have don't get that specific?

Sigh. Eventually You can quite holding my hand

Old 17-09-2006, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There is no way to know what genera are in the background just by looking at
them. In the onciidinae intergenerics you mentioned, it gets real tough.

Degarmoara = brassia x miltonia x odontoglossum
Vuylstekeara = cochlioda x miltonia x odontoglossum
Colmanara = oncidium x miltonia x odontoglossum

Then when the taxonomists play around, it can get more confusing:
Odontocidium Wildcat used to be a colmanara, but the taxonomists decided
that the Miltonia fuscatum in the background was actually an oncidium.

Old 17-09-2006, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Welcome to the club Bruce, I have been an orchid hobbyist for 12yrs now &
still get befuddled.
This may help:-
http://retirees.uwaterloo.ca/~jerry/orchids/names.html

--
Cheers Wendy

No Spam Email Address Invalid

Old 19-09-2006, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 01:30:49 GMT, "Gene Schurg"
wrote:

And to make it even more confusing some of the stores will put a tag that
only says "Oncidium Orchid" on a plant indicating it's in the Oncidium
alliance.

Gene

Don't forget "Tag Switchers" - In a Big Box store it is not unusual
to have Oncidium on a Dendrobium. After all most of the staff only
knows 'it is green and came in with that Orchid stuff. With the so
this must be the right tag theory, anything can wear any label.'
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 20-09-2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'm soooooo confused ( as my daughter would say)

I guess I'll just write "orchid" in my word document is use tokeep trakc of
them.. That will cover all of them!

I would be interested , but it looks like you really need to be a plant
genetecists to figure it out, or have a unblemished traceable pedigree.

Old 23-09-2006, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
Looking at some of my No ID orchids, that helpfull users on this game
have named for me, got me to wondering

Some items that I posted as a DGMRA no name (based on the visuals of
the Pseudobulb) have been ID as Odontocidium's . I also have
Vulystekeara's which look so simialr, I do not know what the
difference is.
Any pointers to sites that can give tutorials, or books? The Ortho
books I have don't get that specific?

Sigh. Eventually You can quite holding my hand

Hi all, There is no way to tell from psudobulbs as all oncidiinae grow
the same way-- you can tell oncidiinae from cattleyas & dendrobiums but
all species {or almost all} and all hybrids have the same bulbs some
are larger than others & some are round some elongated but they all
grow the same way--- that's what tags are for !!! G Bill

Old 24-09-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ahhh. You mean the 15 tags I saw on the floor next to the $8.95 "as is"
special at home depot today?

MY wife couldn't even beleive I was looking at them. Shriveled leaves,
Pseudobulbs as thin as the leaves and as limp as wet pasta.... "Well the
roots look healthy hon....... I'm sure they'll be fine with a little TLC....
NO not The Learning Channel!"

I have got to get my doctor to increase my medicine!.

oups.com...

Old 24-09-2006, 04:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce Musgrove wrote:
Ahhh. You mean the 15 tags I saw on the floor next to the $8.95 "as is"
special at home depot today?

MY wife couldn't even beleive I was looking at them. Shriveled leaves,
Pseudobulbs as thin as the leaves and as limp as wet pasta.... "Well the
roots look healthy hon....... I'm sure they'll be fine with a little TLC....
NO not The Learning Channel!"

I have got to get my doctor to increase my medicine!.

Sometimes you can get some nice plants on the mark down table.
Occasionally, they will still have reasonably accurate tags. One of the
members in HODOS had one awarded during its next bloom cycle after
buying it at a Lowes. Just look them over carefully to assess the
damage to old growth. They may have new growth or beginning buds on
old spikes that most people don't recognize unless they are familiar
with orchids. I bought an oncidium NOID for $.25, I used it to
demonstrate repotting to the orchid group. Trying to be more
selective, but for a quarter??? And it went to a good home after the
meeting.

Happy growing,

Nancy