Old 19-09-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Walnut identification ??

, I, Marvo, say :

La Puce Wrote:
wrote:--
Why do you think you might have either
a Buccaneer or a Broadview?-

Purely because of the age when they started fruiting, and the
spreading of the branches.
So if I have a leaf of Regia and one from Buccaneer or a Broadview, I
would not be able to tell the difference ??.-

You seem to know more than me then !! I have found a link below from
the Walnut Tree Company. It explains the comparision of leaves - in
more details than I had given you - well it also gives you the hybrid
-
but I haven'g seen anything about Buccaneer nor Broadview (grafted
cultivars). The other link gives you some of the 100s of cultivars
that
exist. You can see the difference with the leaf, as I explain, but
it's
easier with the fruits, but you don't have any. Also the number of
leaves it gives on the site is different from the examples I have on
my
Collins (Aas and Riedmiller).

http://tinyurl.com/gt95s
http://tinyurl.com/nvn73

If its a mature, healthy tree and its not producing nuts, then it
might need a good thrashing!
I recall an old saying that I picked up somewhere in the Cotswolds:
"Women, dogs and walnut trees....the more you beats them the better
they be's!"

While I don't advocate beating women, nor am I in favour of cruelty to
animals, I have heard that literally whipping the trunk of walnut
trees encourages cropping.
I understand that it works much like bark-ringing, to reduce the
tree's vigour, and "threaten" it, so it will produce nuts. This
general approach works well with obstinate apple trees like my
Bramley, and should be benificial to a vigorous tree like a walnut,
regardless of variety.

This is probably as good a time of year as any to grab a
cat-o-nine-tails, and take out all your frustrations in a fit of
arboreal flagellation.

A truly excellent post! Arboreal flagellation indeed, I must remember that.