Old 14-09-2006, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Walnut identification ??

Does any one know how to identify between

Juglans Regia, Buccaneer and Broadview

As I have a walnut tree approx 10 years old and 25ft hi with no nuts,
and a friend has one that is only about 20ft hi that was cropping
after 5 years. Mine seems to be more erect and my friends more
spreading.

Which makes me think its a different variety ??
Old 17-09-2006, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Why do you think you might have either
a Buccaneer or a Broadview?

Purely because of the age when they started fruiting, and the
spreading of the branches.

So if I have a leaf of Regia and one from Buccaneer or a Broadview, I
would not be able to tell the difference ??.
Old 18-09-2006, 04:15 PM
Registered User

Location: In north Co. Cork, farming country.

If its a mature, healthy tree and its not producing nuts, then it might need a good thrashing!
I recall an old saying that I picked up somewhere in the Cotswolds: "Women, dogs and walnut trees....the more you beats them the better they be's!"

While I don't advocate beating women, nor am I in favour of cruelty to animals, I have heard that literally whipping the trunk of walnut trees encourages cropping.
I understand that it works much like bark-ringing, to reduce the tree's vigour, and "threaten" it, so it will produce nuts. This general approach works well with obstinate apple trees like my Bramley, and should be benificial to a vigorous tree like a walnut, regardless of variety.

This is probably as good a time of year as any to grab a cat-o-nine-tails, and take out all your frustrations in a fit of arboreal flagellation.

regards,
Marty, Co. Cork.

Old 19-09-2006, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

La Puce Wrote:
wrote:--
Why do you think you might have either
a Buccaneer or a Broadview?-

Purely because of the age when they started fruiting, and the
spreading of the branches.
So if I have a leaf of Regia and one from Buccaneer or a Broadview, I
would not be able to tell the difference ??.-

You seem to know more than me then !! I have found a link below from
the Walnut Tree Company. It explains the comparision of leaves - in
more details than I had given you - well it also gives you the hybrid
-
but I haven'g seen anything about Buccaneer nor Broadview (grafted
cultivars). The other link gives you some of the 100s of cultivars
that
exist. You can see the difference with the leaf, as I explain, but
it's
easier with the fruits, but you don't have any. Also the number of
leaves it gives on the site is different from the examples I have on
my
Collins (Aas and Riedmiller).

http://tinyurl.com/gt95s
http://tinyurl.com/nvn73

[...]

A truly excellent post! Arboreal flagellation indeed, I must remember that.

Old 19-09-2006, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marty wrote:
If its a mature, healthy tree and its not producing nuts, then it might
need a good thrashing!
I recall an old saying that I picked up somewhere in the Cotswolds:
"Women, dogs and walnut trees....the more you beats them the better
they be's!"

How interesting. I used to beat ours, as a child helping my grand dad,
but I thought it was to get the nuts ... and now you mention this it
all makes sense because sometimes my grand dad used to make me do
strange useless things to get rid of me, I thought )

This is probably as good a time of year as any to grab a
cat-o-nine-tails, and take out all your frustrations in a fit of
arboreal flagellation.

Marvelous stuff - must get a walnut tree.