Old 21-03-2003, 03:20 PM
DavesVideo

Default Deer resistant ground cover

Rusty said:

We had a herd of deer eating everything including holly, leyland cyprus, ...

Finally we covered everything with netting and they have found another

diner.

We also have a severe deer problem. We have planted about 30 trees and each one
has a wire cage around. When the tree gets bigger it gets a new cage and the
old cage goes to a new smaller tree.

We also have a large area with hosta, day lillies, iris and other things that
deer think are delicious. The solution that is working well, is an electric
fence. It doesn't look too bad as it has a single strand of wire at a height of
about 3 ft. They could easily jump over it, so I think the reason it works is
that that single strand is hard to see and they have learned that they get
zapped when trying for our hostas.

Dave
http://members.tripod.com/~VideoDave