Old 21-09-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Gene Schurg Gene Schurg is offline

Default cultural information on vanda tricolor var. suavis

Steve,

I know someone who grows this plant and has received a CCM on it before it
got too large to take to judging.

His plant is growing in a 18 inch clay pot. Well there was once a clay pot
under the plant before it was enveloped in roots. I don't believe the pot
had media in it when he placed it in the pot. The pot provided stability to
the the plant. It has always been in bloom when I've visited the owner.

It has numereous keikis. As you can imagine this is an orchid that can
become very big.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Steve Weaver" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've been thinking about adding the species Vanda tricolor variety
suavis (or is it now just Vanda suavis?) to my collection and would
appreciate any cultural information anyone can share regarding its
cultural requirement. Specifically, can it possibly be grown in a pot
rather than an open basket (if anyone has had success growing this
species in a pot, I would very much like to hear about your experiences
doing so) and will it require the same amount of intense light and
consistently warm temperatures that Euanthe sanderiana and its hybrids
require? Also (and I know this isn't a cultural question, but I'm
curious anyway), I've read that this Vanda's flowers are fragrant. Is
that true (again, would like to hear from someone who's had first-hand
experience with the species)? How often does it flower? Thank you in
advance for your time!