Old 19-09-2006, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default cultural information on vanda tricolor var. suavis

I've been thinking about adding the species Vanda tricolor variety
suavis (or is it now just Vanda suavis?) to my collection and would
appreciate any cultural information anyone can share regarding its
cultural requirement. Specifically, can it possibly be grown in a pot
rather than an open basket (if anyone has had success growing this
species in a pot, I would very much like to hear about your experiences
doing so) and will it require the same amount of intense light and
consistently warm temperatures that Euanthe sanderiana and its hybrids
require? Also (and I know this isn't a cultural question, but I'm
curious anyway), I've read that this Vanda's flowers are fragrant. Is
that true (again, would like to hear from someone who's had first-hand
experience with the species)? How often does it flower? Thank you in
advance for your time!

Old 19-09-2006, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, Steve,

I have a V. Gordon Dillon 'Lea' x tricolor v. suavis. The tricolor is
predominant. I grow it exactly like all my other Vandas: warm, very bright
light (with only screen protection), a good soaking daily, and fertilizer at
least weekly but generally twice weekly, at 1 tsp/gal.

It is fragrant, and is a very large plant. I can't answer the pot question;
none of our Vandas are in pots.

Jay Pfahl has it listed two ways; it appears to be moving in the direction
of V. suavis.

http://www.orchidspecies.com/vantricolo.htm

http://www.orchidspecies.com/vansuavis.htm

HTH

Diana

Old 19-09-2006, 11:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sorry; you also asked how often it blooms. Around three times annually for
me, and the flowers last a long time. Of course, the multiple bloom periods
could be due to the influence of Gordon Dillon, which in my experience is a
frequent bloomer.

Diana

.. .

Old 21-09-2006, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve,

I know someone who grows this plant and has received a CCM on it before it
got too large to take to judging.

His plant is growing in a 18 inch clay pot. Well there was once a clay pot
under the plant before it was enveloped in roots. I don't believe the pot
had media in it when he placed it in the pot. The pot provided stability to
the the plant. It has always been in bloom when I've visited the owner.

It has numereous keikis. As you can imagine this is an orchid that can
become very big.

Good Growing,
Gene

ups.com...

Old 21-09-2006, 02:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi, Gene. Thank you for the information. I thought (based on what I'd
read so far) that this species would eventually get pretty large. But
if your friend's plant has pretty much devoured an eighteen-inch clay
pot, perhaps I should reconsider. I have a Vanda tessellata and a Vanda
denisoniana, both of which are staying nicely compact and still growing
and flowering well. I had asked about Vanda suavis because Santa
Barbara Orchid Estate has the plant listed on their web site, and they
also indicate that it can be grown alongside Cymbidiums. I'm not sure
what kind of temperature tolerances V. suavis has, but I didn't think
that (coming from the Philippines) it would really enjoy Cymbidium
growing conditions. Ugh, perhaps I should just stick with the
tessellata and denisoniana. At least I know that I can grow and flower
them--and they don't look like they're capable of engulfing a big clay
pot with their roots (at least not yet). Thanks again for your
feedback.

Steve

Old 21-09-2006, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve,

The Vanda my friend has is growing in a bright corner of his greenhouse. In
the winter he moves his Cyms into the same greenhouse. Sounds like they are
good companions with Cyms.