Old 21-09-2006, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Lawn spiking. Does anyone know What & where we hire one from?

, I, Marvo, say :

"Uncle Marvo" wrote in message

Worms are better. I don't know how you encourage worms to get under
your lawn but I bet somebody here does.

Well, if you spread compost/muck over the garden then the worms pull
it all down. (So I am led to understand) Sooooo, if you sift your
compost so it is nice and fine and then sprinkle that all over the
lawn and do that a few times, then the worms will pull it down. No I
don't mean a layer 6 inches deep so you cannot see the grass, but
sufficient for it to go down between the blades of grass with a fine
raking :-)) ???

No?

Yes, I would say. A top idea, worms being a lot fatter than the spikes on a
spiker. I suspect rotted veg compost might not be the best bet though, as it
won't sieve well. But proprietary compost, possibly cheaper than hiring the
spiker.

Where did you hear about the worms pulling down compost?