Old 22-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to austin.gardening
Mike Harris[_1_] Mike Harris[_1_] is offline

Default Where to buy a composter.

"ceed" wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know where in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or tumbler. If someone has one for sale
in this area it would be even better.

Thank you for help.

--
//ceed

Ceed,

You could try Natural Gardener or Great Outdoors; they could probably order
one for you even if they don't stock one. Expensive, though. If you're
handy with tools you could build one easily enough but it still wouldn't be
cheap.

That said, have you ever used one?

I have, and I don't care for them. They're very pricey for what they do,
and if you have a constant stream of organics going onto the pile you'll
need at least two - one to fill while the other ferments. Their capacity is
generally too small either to produce any useful amount of compost or
dispose of any useful volume of waste; the corollary is that the small
volume loses heat too quickly so the pile doesn't ferment hot enough to kill
pests and pathogens.

IMHO a simple homemade three-bin system is much more useful at a fraction of
the price.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX