Old 21-09-2006, 08:29 PM posted to austin.gardening

Default Where to buy a composter.

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know where in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or tumbler. If someone has one for sale
in this area it would be even better.

Thank you for help.

--
//ceed

"Sometimes I think I'd be better off dead. No, wait, not me, you!"

Old 22-09-2006, 03:37 PM posted to austin.gardening

"ceed" wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know where in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or tumbler. If someone has one for sale
in this area it would be even better.

Thank you for help.

--
//ceed

Ceed,

You could try Natural Gardener or Great Outdoors; they could probably order
one for you even if they don't stock one. Expensive, though. If you're
handy with tools you could build one easily enough but it still wouldn't be
cheap.

That said, have you ever used one?

I have, and I don't care for them. They're very pricey for what they do,
and if you have a constant stream of organics going onto the pile you'll
need at least two - one to fill while the other ferments. Their capacity is
generally too small either to produce any useful amount of compost or
dispose of any useful volume of waste; the corollary is that the small
volume loses heat too quickly so the pile doesn't ferment hot enough to kill
pests and pathogens.

IMHO a simple homemade three-bin system is much more useful at a fraction of
the price.
--
Mike Harris
Austin, TX

Old 22-09-2006, 06:53 PM posted to austin.gardening

In article ,
ceed wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know where in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or tumbler. If someone has one for sale
in this area it would be even better.

Thank you for help.

Lowe's.

Construction grade trash bags.

Bag it up, set it aside and let it sit for a year.
I'm starting to open up last years leaf compost bags as of yesterday and
they are fabulous.

Google for black bag composting!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 23-09-2006, 01:59 AM posted to austin.gardening

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
ceed wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone know where in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round
Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or tumbler. If someone has one for
sale
in this area it would be even better.

Thank you for help.

Lowe's.

Construction grade trash bags.

Bag it up, set it aside and let it sit for a year.
I'm starting to open up last years leaf compost bags as of yesterday and
they are fabulous.

Google for black bag composting!
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Found only one link for "black bag composting" via Google.
http://www.gatago.com/rec/gardens/edible/20622884.html
and became labored in reading it. Oddly, IE could not find anything on the
page regarding "black bag composting" phrase.
--
Jonny

Old 26-09-2006, 01:37 AM posted to austin.gardening

Mike Harris wrote:

That said, have you ever used one?

I have, and I don't care for them. They're very pricey for what they do,

Ditto that - we have one, it may be for sale (I'd have to consult with
my better half), but I wouldn't recommend it.

IMHO a simple homemade three-bin system is much more useful at a fraction of
the price.

A three-bin (or even single bin) may not produce as quickly, but neither
does the tumbler if you don't crank it and water it very regularly.

Old 27-09-2006, 12:12 PM posted to austin.gardening

I was wondering if anyone know where
in the Austin/Pflugerville/Round Rock
area I could purcase a compost bin or
tumbler. If someone has one for sale in
this area it would be even better.

If interested in making a bin composter: this type can be made with
wooden pallets. I have a 2-bin composter and used 5 pallets. I picked
up all the pallets behind stores in Round Rock and they were free for
the asking! Free is good....

Dave S(Texas)

COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 05-05-2003 10:57 PM
San Jose/Santa Clara County horse manure for composter. The Gardners Edible Gardening 3 23-04-2003 10:20 PM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Texas 1 05-04-2003 11:09 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:34 AM
COMPOSTER Pkgillespie Lawns 0 02-12-2002 12:06 PM