Old 22-09-2006, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Lawn spiking. Does anyone know What & where we hire one from?

wrote:
pied piper wrote:
worms are bad if they are the casting type as this will damage the level of
your lawn.
Also putting down organic matter is bad advice as this will just build up a
thatch layer and cause problems.
If your lawn is small you can buy(argos)spiked shoes that fit over your
normal shoes they are relativly cheap .
Wouldnt worry too much with the sand idea unless you have severe drainage
problems.
Failing that ask your local groundsman if he will spike it for you.
Good luck

Pogo stick with the rubber bit taken off? :-)

I've only ever seen hollow tining on golf greens. Never on tees or
anywhere else so unless there's some drainage problem I'm not really
sure it does an awful lot of good.

It's almost certainly a complete waste of time and trouble. Few
domestic lawns get such a bashing that they need artificial aeration:
the odd corner which gets walked on too much is easy enough to loosen
up by hand if it's really necessary. For the most part, spikomania is
just another fad designed to get somebody's hand into gardeners'
pockets.

--
Mike.