Old 23-09-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Mustard - What is it good for

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:12:49 +1200, George.com wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:24:50 GMT, Tim W wrote:

Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard

seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do

eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the

tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Farmers do use it as green manure, by digging it in. However I believe
that's from an August sowing. Better than chucking them in the bin.
--
Jim S

Jim
I have heard mustard plantsv are good at sterilising soil. Know anything
about that claim?

rob

Sorry Rob I have never heard that one.

I used mustard as a green manure mainly to increase my humus levels.
If you put MUSTARD GREEN MANURE in Google you will find several agricultural
sites, here and in the US. It is an old technique which seems to be revived
for environmental reasons.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK