Old 22-09-2006, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mustard - What is it good for

Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do I
eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Old 22-09-2006, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do I
eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Good for cucumber pickle - it has onion, cucumber, vinegar and mustard seed
( to give it some kick ) in it. A good way to preserve a surplus of
cucumbers. I've picked three in the last week and have several in various
stages of development.

Andy.

Old 22-09-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

Good for cucumber pickle - it has onion, cucumber, vinegar and mustard
seed ( to give it some kick ) in it. A good way to preserve a surplus of
cucumbers. I've picked three in the last week and have several in various
stages of development.

Do you mean full size salad cucumbers?

Oh - I make mustard with mustard seed but there won't be enough in a packet,
I suppose. I buy kilos at a time.

Try growing some and using the young leaves as salad.

Mary

Old 22-09-2006, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do I
eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Unfortunately they don't seem to have much of a leaf compared with
some other mustards

http://www.intercrop.co.uk/products....ssicas/21.html

there are loads of varities of mustards, especially popular in Chinese
cooking which can vary greatly in taste - bitterness/hotness and in size

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/musbroadleaf.html

They can be a lot of trouble if you find you don't like the taste.
Or the straggly leaves in this case.

michael adams

Old 22-09-2006, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:24:50 GMT, Tim W wrote:

Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do I
eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Farmers do use it as green manure, by digging it in. However I believe
that's from an August sowing. Better than chucking them in the bin.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK

Old 23-09-2006, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jim S" wrote in message
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 18:24:50 GMT, Tim W wrote:

Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard

seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do

eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the

tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

Farmers do use it as green manure, by digging it in. However I believe
that's from an August sowing. Better than chucking them in the bin.
--
Jim S

Jim
I have heard mustard plantsv are good at sterilising soil. Know anything
about that claim?

rob

Old 23-09-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Tim W" wrote in message
Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have spooned
mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with mustard seeds
but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden Streaks seeds? Do I
eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of it? And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

Tim w

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustard_seed
Jenny :~)

Old 23-09-2006, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:12:49 +1200, George.com wrote:

"Jim S" wrote in message
[...]

Sorry Rob I have never heard that one.

I used mustard as a green manure mainly to increase my humus levels.
If you put MUSTARD GREEN MANURE in Google you will find several agricultural
sites, here and in the US. It is an old technique which seems to be revived
for environmental reasons.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 23-09-2006, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jim S wrote:
Sorry Rob I have never heard that one.
I used mustard as a green manure mainly to increase my humus levels.
If you put MUSTARD GREEN MANURE in Google you will find several agricultural
sites, here and in the US. It is an old technique which seems to be revived
for environmental reasons.

It's always been used as a green manure but no good at fixing nitrogen
in the soil. Also it grows quite tall. I've never used it as a green
manure - I prefer red clover and facelia - they are prettier and seeds
less freely.

Old 24-09-2006, 01:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Tim W wrote:

And what of the tale
of great trees growing from the tiny seeds? Any advice?

I don't think anybody has ever finally solved the mystery of the
"mustard seed" in the parable. The Oxford English Dictionary says:
The mustard seed ... of the New Testament, spoken of as producing a
tree, is probably the seed of the black mustard (Brassica nigra) which
in Israel grows to a great height. However, some commentators have
identified it with the toothbrush tree, Salvadora persica.
_Flowers and Trees of Palestine_ (1929) says _Sinapis nigra_
(=_Brassica nigra_) reaches a height of twelve or fifteen feet in
Syria. _Salvadora persica_, it says, is a shrub. Either way, I don't
see why Jesus shouldn't be permitted a degree of rabbinic embroidery.

--
Mike.

Old 25-09-2006, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

, I, Marvo, say :

Dobies have given me a free packet of mustard seeds. Now I have
spooned mustard into a ham sandwich once or twice, even cooked with
mustard seeds but what am I supposed to get if I plant these Golden
Streaks seeds? Do I eat it? Am I supposed to make, er, mustard out of
it? And what of the tale of great trees growing from the tiny seeds?
Any advice?

When we were kids (a couple of years ago) we used to grow mustard and cress
on the windowsill. You just cut it all together and put it in egg
sandwiches. Well, we did, anyway. It grows every so quickly so is ideal for
kids :-)

The little seed/big tree thing has always eluded me, because the not only is
the mustard tree not the biggest, the seeds aren't the smallest either! I
suspect that, like much of the bible, you need to understand what was
happening 2000 years ago. See camels and needle eyes for an example.

Old 25-09-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]
The little seed/big tree thing has always eluded me, because the not only is
the mustard tree not the biggest, the seeds aren't the smallest either! I
suspect that, like much of the bible, you need to understand what was
happening 2000 years ago. See camels and needle eyes for an example.

It's always going to be tricky when you report in Language 2 what
somebody says somebody was reported to have said to somebody else
several years previously in Language 1! ("Eh? The _cheesemakers_?") The
Greek version definitely refers to mustard. But, as I suggested, even
if it's accurate I think it falls within the limits allowed for a
Rabbinic sermon. "Y'know, just look at that bush by the door: isn't it
amazing to think that came from one little seed? I think the kingdom of
heaven's a bit like that..." ... "Oh, yes, my Dad was alive at the
time. Apparently there was this enormous tree..."
--
Mike.

Mustard - What is it good for George.com United Kingdom 0 24-09-2006 11:27 AM
"Plant ID" Garlic Mustard Garry Nixon Edible Gardening 0 04-01-2005 03:31 PM
"Plant ID" Garlic Mustard Garry Nixon Edible Gardening 0 04-01-2005 03:31 PM
Mustard Seeds Den United Kingdom 1 06-10-2004 06:49 AM
garlic mustard Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 2 22-04-2003 03:08 PM