Old 24-09-2006, 12:29 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Pat Pat is offline

Default Moles and ground thumpers

First you need to be sure of your critter. Gophers are vegetarian, moles
eat insects. Moles make a hill shaped like a volcano. A gopher makes a fan
shaped hill with the plugged hole visible on one side. Trapping techniques
are the same for both. Moles are smaller than gophers so a smaller trap is
needed. There are several varieties of traps. I only know the pincher
style as shown here http://www.nwtrappers.com/catalog/traps/gophermole.asp
the first one on the page called the death clutch trap. Dig, following the
tunnel down until you find the main runway. Then you will have two holes
running in two directions. Since there is no way of knowing which one has
the gopher two traps will be needed. If you don't catch one in a few days
pick a new location with fresh mounds and try again. I try to keep my scent
off the business end. If the trap is sprung reset. Try not to miss much.
The critters can learn to be trap shy. Fasten the trap to a stake so it
can't be lost down the hole, Moles move into your yard regularly from your
neighbors. Keep an eye open for fresh mounds. Best to trap them quickly.
I trap one or two a year. Usually in the spring sometimes in the fall.
Digging up the main runway makes a mess. I fill it in and the grass hides
it shortly. I dislike the thought of poisoning my ground on a regular
basis. With bait you never know if you are successful. A trap shows your
results immediately. Poison can be expensive. Traps work year after year
with no cost other than their initial purchase. I bought my traps from a
farm supply store. Two traps came in the box for about $17.