Old 24-09-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jim S Jim S is offline

Default Fuchsias Advice Needed

On 24 Sep 2006 15:59:45 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| It depends on variety, locality and winter. Some Fuschias are tender
| (e.g. 'Thalia'), others die back to the ground in most locations and
| shoot again from the base in the spring, and others are hardy in most
| circumstances. I'd guess that you could overwinter a standard of the
| last outdoors, but there's a risk of damage to the shape. (But the main
| stem of a standard is more exposed to killing winds than one of a plant
| grown as a bush.)

I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
have taken both frost and snow.
The Riccartonii/Magellanica varieties have always survived although I
suspect they had to be well established.

I did worry a little about someone's comment earlier in the thread who
suggested storing them dry. I would never let fuchsias dry out completely.
To this end I use a loam based compost rather than the 'peat' type.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK