Old 23-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Registered User

Default Fuchsias Advice Needed

I was at my local gardening show a few weeks ago and saw some lovely fuschias which were like little trees in pots. Can anybody tell me what kind of fuchsias they could be and how do you grow them to get like this.
Old 24-09-2006, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

They were what is known as "standards".

Grown from a cutting most fuschias can be standardised by only allowing the
leader to grow and removing any side shoots when they appear. when the
required height is reached allow the plant to develop a head.

Geoff

Old 24-09-2006, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 20:42:58 +0100, the swede
wrote:

I was at my local gardening show a few weeks ago and saw some lovely
fuschias which were like little trees in pots. Can anybody tell me
what kind of fuchsias they could be and how do you grow them to get
like this.

IANAE but once was taken by these an bought a couple in pots for the patio.
I lost both of them over winter from the cold and only learnt later that they
should have been provided with some protection because they are not frost hardy.

Is this a variety thing or do all standards have to be 'homed' in the winter ?

Andy
Old 24-09-2006, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

P.S.

I should have mentioined that short hardwood cuttings pulled from the parent
plant in spring are the best and do not forget that any standard is only as
hardy as it's parent so over-winter in a frost free but not warm place
indoors if in doubt and do not to water. A light spray with water in early
spring will help to wake it up!!

Geoff

Old 24-09-2006, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Andy Cap
writes
wrote:

I was at my local gardening show a few weeks ago and saw some lovely
fuschias which were like little trees in pots. Can anybody tell me
what kind of fuchsias they could be and how do you grow them to get
like this.

IANAE but once was taken by these an bought a couple in pots for the patio.
I lost both of them over winter from the cold and only learnt later that they
should have been provided with some protection because they are not
frost hardy.

Is this a variety thing or do all standards have to be 'homed' in the winter ?

Andy

It depends on variety, locality and winter. Some Fuschias are tender
(e.g. 'Thalia'), others die back to the ground in most locations and
shoot again from the base in the spring, and others are hardy in most
circumstances. I'd guess that you could overwinter a standard of the
last outdoors, but there's a risk of damage to the shape. (But the main
stem of a standard is more exposed to killing winds than one of a plant
grown as a bush.)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 24-09-2006, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| It depends on variety, locality and winter. Some Fuschias are tender
| (e.g. 'Thalia'), others die back to the ground in most locations and
| shoot again from the base in the spring, and others are hardy in most
| circumstances. I'd guess that you could overwinter a standard of the
| last outdoors, but there's a risk of damage to the shape. (But the main
| stem of a standard is more exposed to killing winds than one of a plant
| grown as a bush.)

I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2006, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Sep 2006 15:59:45 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Robert Hinsley writes:

| It depends on variety, locality and winter. Some Fuschias are tender
| (e.g. 'Thalia'), others die back to the ground in most locations and
| shoot again from the base in the spring, and others are hardy in most
| circumstances. I'd guess that you could overwinter a standard of the
| last outdoors, but there's a risk of damage to the shape. (But the main
| stem of a standard is more exposed to killing winds than one of a plant
| grown as a bush.)

I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
have taken both frost and snow.
The Riccartonii/Magellanica varieties have always survived although I
suspect they had to be well established.

I did worry a little about someone's comment earlier in the thread who
suggested storing them dry. I would never let fuchsias dry out completely.
To this end I use a loam based compost rather than the 'peat' type.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 24-09-2006, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim S writes:

| I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
| be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.
|
| Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
| they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
| have taken both frost and snow.

To what depth has the soil frozen?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 24-09-2006, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 Sep 2006 16:49:52 GMT, Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Jim S writes:

| I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
| be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.
|
| Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
| they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
| have taken both frost and snow.

To what depth has the soil frozen?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

If you think I would be poking around on a frosty morning .........
That was my point of established ones ie having bigger, deeper roots.
--
Jim S
Tyneside UK
Old 25-09-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim S writes:
| |
| | I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
| | be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.
| |
| | Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
| | they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
| | have taken both frost and snow.
|
| To what depth has the soil frozen?
|
| If you think I would be poking around on a frosty morning .........
| That was my point of established ones ie having bigger, deeper roots.

I think that you have answered my question :-)

The soil won't freeze significantly if only the mornings are frosty.
It sounds as if you are in a warm part of the north-east, and your
soil hasn't frozen to any depth in recent years. My point stands;
no fuschia is likely to survive its roots freezing. Your point that
established plants are more likely to survive also stands, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rusty Fuchsias DavidS United Kingdom 5 11-02-2004 10:17 AM
Rusty Fuchsias DavidS United Kingdom 0 10-02-2004 01:38 AM
Fuchsias? Kostas Kavoussanakis United Kingdom 4 16-06-2003 07:21 PM
fuchsias B & J Gardening 1 08-03-2003 06:08 AM
Miiserable fuchsias in pots pbaitch United Kingdom 2 10-11-2002 12:03 AM