Old 25-09-2006, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Joe[_4_] Joe[_4_] is offline

Default Agway fertilizer and Scotts broadcast spreader - what setting???

Thanks, another thing that I've been reading online is that this Scotts
spreader doesn't have a hole big enough to accomodate some lime pellet
products. I probably won't be using any Scotts products, would I be
better off bringing this one back and buying a generic spreader? Is
Scotts the "Betamax" of lawn care products? Do they make it so if you
buy their spreader you need to buy their products as well?

Snooze wrote:
"Joe" wrote in message
oups.com...
I bought a big bag of Agway Organic lawn fertilizer and bought a Scotts
Standard Broadcast Spreader. On the back of the bag they list the
settings for every brand of spreader except Scotts. Does anyone know
how I can find out the proper setting for this fertilizer using the
Scotts spreader?

Usually the settings are 1-5, find a listing for a similar type spreader on
the bag, and match it up to what % opening the spreader is. Then match that
up with your spreader.

It's not an exact science. Even with the same setting 2 different people
will get 2 different coverage rates, based on the speed at which they walk.
I usually start with the smallest or second smallest setting, then see if it
works for me, no matter what the bag recommends.

-S