Old 25-09-2006, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Robert[_2_] Robert[_2_] is offline

Default Leeks

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
: "Peter Donovan"wrote
: Hi I have had a wonderful year on my allotment,as regards crops.With
only
: one failure,namely my leek crop.
: I raised from seed 2 varieties,as usual one early and one winter.
: Both crops were doing well until recently,When I got a bad attack of
: Rust,
: Likewise there is a small grub burrowing into some of the leeks.(It is
: not Onion Fly)
: These leeks look tatty as regards foliage but good white stalks
: underneath if you watch out for the Grub.
: Any advice?
:
:
: Leek Moth, see ...
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0805/leek_moth.asp
:
: I have sprayed with Derris and I'm sure it had some good effect (but it
: may have been wishfull thinking).
:
: --
: Regards
: Bob H
: 17mls W. of London.UK .

I have used fleece this year to give a reasonable amount of protection. Many
tenants on the site cut the leeks severely into the green top once they are
attacked and this seems to work completely. I have not been brave enough to
try that yet

www.rraa.moonfruit.com