Old 24-09-2006, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leeks

Hi I have had a wonderful year on my allotment,as regards crops.With only
one failure,namely my leek crop.
I raised from seed 2 varieties,as usual one early and one winter.
Both crops were doing well until recently,When I got a bad attack of Rust,
Likewise there is a small grub burrowing into some of the leeks.(It is not
Onion Fly)
These leeks look tatty as regards foliage but good white stalks underneath
if you watch out for the Grub.
Any advice?

It has removed 12 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old 24-09-2006, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Donovan"wrote
Hi I have had a wonderful year on my allotment,as regards crops.With only
one failure,namely my leek crop.
I raised from seed 2 varieties,as usual one early and one winter.
Both crops were doing well until recently,When I got a bad attack of Rust,
Likewise there is a small grub burrowing into some of the leeks.(It is not
Onion Fly)
These leeks look tatty as regards foliage but good white stalks underneath
if you watch out for the Grub.
Any advice?

Leek Moth, see ... http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0805/leek_moth.asp

I have sprayed with Derris and I'm sure it had some good effect (but it may
have been wishfull thinking).

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 24-09-2006, 10:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks Bob for your Quick reply:

"Peter Donovan"wrote

Old 24-09-2006, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message

It has removed 12 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

How?

Alan

Old 25-09-2006, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
: "Peter Donovan"wrote
: Hi I have had a wonderful year on my allotment,as regards crops.With
only
: one failure,namely my leek crop.
: I raised from seed 2 varieties,as usual one early and one winter.
: Both crops were doing well until recently,When I got a bad attack of
: Rust,
: Likewise there is a small grub burrowing into some of the leeks.(It is
: not Onion Fly)
: These leeks look tatty as regards foliage but good white stalks
: underneath if you watch out for the Grub.
: Any advice?
:
:
: Leek Moth, see ...
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profiles0805/leek_moth.asp
:
: I have sprayed with Derris and I'm sure it had some good effect (but it
: may have been wishfull thinking).
:
: --
: Regards
: Bob H
: 17mls W. of London.UK .

I have used fleece this year to give a reasonable amount of protection. Many
tenants on the site cut the leeks severely into the green top once they are
attacked and this seems to work completely. I have not been brave enough to
try that yet

www.rraa.moonfruit.com

Old 25-09-2006, 08:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter Donovan" wrote in message
Hi I have had a wonderful year on my allotment,as regards crops.With only
one failure,namely my leek crop.
I raised from seed 2 varieties,as usual one early and one winter.
Both crops were doing well until recently,When I got a bad attack of Rust,
Likewise there is a small grub burrowing into some of the leeks.(It is not
Onion Fly)
These leeks look tatty as regards foliage but good white stalks underneath
if you watch out for the Grub.
Any advice?

Lots of wood-ash in the ground seems to keep the common pest diseases at
bay. I seem to recall that exhibition growers used to use soot and may still
do so, but that is obviously bad if the leeks are for consumption.

Old 26-09-2006, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote after
"Peter Donovan" wrote

It has removed 12 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

How?

12? only 12! My free BT Yahoo spam filter has removed 210 today alone.

--
Regards
Bob H

Old 26-09-2006, 08:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Alan Holmes" wrote after
"Peter Donovan" wrote

It has removed 12 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

How?

12? only 12! My free BT Yahoo spam filter has removed 210 today alone.

--
Regards
Bob H
17mls W. of London.UK

I don't get any spam at all! I have a private email address only disclosed
to friends and family and for everyone else I use a password protected email
address via my website and get zero spam!
--
David
.... Email address on website http://www.avisoft.co.uk

Old 26-09-2006, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David (in Normandy) wrote:

I don't get any spam at all! I have a private email address only disclosed
to friends and family and for everyone else I use a password protected email
address via my website and get zero spam!

I bet you live in a cave as well.
Old 28-09-2006, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes

12? only 12! My free BT Yahoo spam filter has removed 210 today alone.

Mailwasher regularly blacklists people that we want to receive mail
from, but gives us about 75 emails a day with wither that rubbish text
stuff or tells us our emails have been bounced and gives us back 9most
generously) emails we haven't sent
Great this Technological progress isn't it?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 6 28-03-2003 06:32 PM
Transplanting Leeks Kman United Kingdom 0 25-03-2003 02:08 PM
Blanching leeks! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 11-03-2003 07:48 PM
Leeks? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 07-02-2003 01:30 AM
Leeks Peter Stockdale United Kingdom 1 23-11-2002 04:48 PM