Old 25-09-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham Charlie Pridham is offline

Default Dierama pendulem?

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message PIyRg.35602$E67.21772@clgrps13
from "clarissa" contains these words:

Hi I am once again turning here for answers after searching all my

books
and garden centres. I have finally found the lovely plant Dierama

pendulem
(or Angels' Fishing Rod) which I seen growing so beautifully on the

Oregon
coast. So how can I keep the corm alive through our winter here - which

may
go down to 0-4 C (30-40 F). for a few days during the winter. Should I
plant it and let it get more healthy before I take it up and put it in

the
garage for the winter. Should I store the corm with or without dirt,

dry or
water once in a while. Or - should I leave it in the ground (the sunny

spot
where it would grow best is not very sheltered) and cover with some

dried
leaves? I would very much appreciate some help. Thanks Jean

Where I live has similar winter temps and dierama survives that
amount of cold just fine, left out in my garden with no additional
protection.

They are also very easy to propagate from fresh seed.

Janet. (Isle of Arran Scotland)

I would agree with that, they actually become quite a pest seeding about the
garden, I would suggest that the worst thing you can do is move them, they
really do not like being disturbed (their fleshy roots damage very easily)
There are a number of different species D. pulcherrimum is the largest
closely followed by D. pendulum (I grow both and get an extended flowering
season)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk