Old 24-09-2006, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dierama pendulem?

Hi I am once again turning here for answers after searching all my books
and garden centres. I have finally found the lovely plant Dierama pendulem
(or Angels' Fishing Rod) which I seen growing so beautifully on the Oregon
coast. So how can I keep the corm alive through our winter here - which may
go down to 0-4 C (30-40 F). for a few days during the winter. Should I
plant it and let it get more healthy before I take it up and put it in the
garage for the winter. Should I store the corm with or without dirt, dry or
water once in a while. Or - should I leave it in the ground (the sunny spot
where it would grow best is not very sheltered) and cover with some dried
leaves? I would very much appreciate some help. Thanks Jean

Old 24-09-2006, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 16:51:59 GMT, "clarissa"
wrote:

Hi I am once again turning here for answers after searching all my books
and garden centres. I have finally found the lovely plant Dierama pendulem
(or Angels' Fishing Rod) which I seen growing so beautifully on the Oregon
coast. So how can I keep the corm alive through our winter here - which may
go down to 0-4 C (30-40 F). for a few days during the winter. Should I
plant it and let it get more healthy before I take it up and put it in the
garage for the winter. Should I store the corm with or without dirt, dry or
water once in a while. Or - should I leave it in the ground (the sunny spot
where it would grow best is not very sheltered) and cover with some dried
leaves? I would very much appreciate some help. Thanks Jean

Most species of dierama will take a few degrees of frost. D. pendulum
should be OK to -5C. We grow mostly D. pulcherrimum outdoors in UK in
the south west and leave then in the ground all year. They don't like
being disturbed and digging them up would do more harm than leaving
them where they are. A winter mulch of leaves is probably OK, but
nothing too dense or compact as they like good drainage. Add grit to
the soil when you plant them. If you're growing them from corms, you
may have difficulty getting them established. IMO the best way to get
them going is to sow seed directly where you want them to grow. Takes
longer to get the final result, but more chance of success.

--
Chris

Old 25-09-2006, 09:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Baraclough" wrote in message
The message PIyRg.35602$E67.21772@clgrps13
from "clarissa" contains these words:

[...]

Where I live has similar winter temps and dierama survives that
amount of cold just fine, left out in my garden with no additional
protection.

They are also very easy to propagate from fresh seed.

Janet. (Isle of Arran Scotland)

I would agree with that, they actually become quite a pest seeding about the
garden, I would suggest that the worst thing you can do is move them, they
really do not like being disturbed (their fleshy roots damage very easily)
There are a number of different species D. pulcherrimum is the largest
closely followed by D. pendulum (I grow both and get an extended flowering
season)
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Dierama robustum 'Mike'[_4_] United Kingdom 1 25-06-2012 01:46 PM
Dierama AKA Angel's fishing rod jayeff United Kingdom 3 26-09-2005 10:39 PM
Dierama kateh United Kingdom 7 19-10-2004 01:31 AM
Dierama dieback Victoria Clare United Kingdom 15 01-07-2004 08:13 AM