Old 25-09-2006, 09:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Nick Maclaren Nick Maclaren is offline

Default Fuchsias Advice Needed

In article ,
Jim S writes:
| |
| | I don't think that any can survive their roots freezing, so none would
| | be fully hardy in the colder parts of the country.
| |
| | Here in the North East I have 15 different hardys in my small garden and
| | they overwinter fine. True, winters are not what they were, but these ones
| | have taken both frost and snow.
|
| To what depth has the soil frozen?
|
| If you think I would be poking around on a frosty morning .........
| That was my point of established ones ie having bigger, deeper roots.

I think that you have answered my question :-)

The soil won't freeze significantly if only the mornings are frosty.
It sounds as if you are in a warm part of the north-east, and your
soil hasn't frozen to any depth in recent years. My point stands;
no fuschia is likely to survive its roots freezing. Your point that
established plants are more likely to survive also stands, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.