Old 25-09-2006, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle[_1_] Mike Lyle[_1_] is offline
Registered User

Default Mustard - What is it good for

Uncle Marvo wrote:
[...]
The little seed/big tree thing has always eluded me, because the not only is
the mustard tree not the biggest, the seeds aren't the smallest either! I
suspect that, like much of the bible, you need to understand what was
happening 2000 years ago. See camels and needle eyes for an example.

It's always going to be tricky when you report in Language 2 what
somebody says somebody was reported to have said to somebody else
several years previously in Language 1! ("Eh? The _cheesemakers_?") The
Greek version definitely refers to mustard. But, as I suggested, even
if it's accurate I think it falls within the limits allowed for a
Rabbinic sermon. "Y'know, just look at that bush by the door: isn't it
amazing to think that came from one little seed? I think the kingdom of
heaven's a bit like that..." ... "Oh, yes, my Dad was alive at the
time. Apparently there was this enormous tree..."
--
Mike.