Old 25-09-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ornata Ornata is offline
Registered User

Default ailanthus altissima - really

Klara wrote:
If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?

Janet Baraclough writes

Like any other suckering tree. Dismantle it, bit by bit if need be.
Cut off the trunk about 18 " above ground, drill holes in its top
surface, apply a stump killer such as SBK *following the instructions on
the pkt to the letter* , cover with a plastic bag to keep
children/pets/rain off. Now is a better time to do it than winter.

If by any chance, the roots are not completely killed and sprout new
suckers a few feet away, do the same to them as soon as they appear. But
it's unlikely. Purpose-made stump killers like SBK are very effective.

In a year's time when you are quite certain the roots sre dead, dig a
hole round the stump, sever it from the roots underground and lever it
out (that's why you left it 18" high). Don't be tempted to do that now
because the roots need time to absorb the poison, and damaging roots
that are not yet dead might well stimulate them into growth.

Thanks, Janet. I guess I panicked a bit (as you do when you think your
offspring may have mortgaged themselves to the hilt for a lifetime and
beyond!), especially as the tree is right next to the house - glued to
it, so to speak. At least you didn't say "move". It looks as if it has
already been cut down once from something much bigger, but obviously
they didn't do anything further. SBK it is!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

I saw an ad for a garden flat in which the estate agent had mentioned
the "tree of heaven" in the garden as a selling point! It gave me a
laugh.