Old 20-09-2006, 08:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ailanthus altissima - really

We had been trying to identify a tree growing (very fast!) right next to
the wall of our daughter's new house --- and ailanthus it almost
certainly is! They have only been in the house a couple of months, and
in that time it has grown to some 3m.
I had not knowingly seen one before, but we're pretty sure. In any case,
whatever it is, it has to go. If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?
And as the house was surveyed just three months ago, surely the surveyor
should have warned them!
Thanks!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 21-09-2006, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Klara" wrote in message

We had been trying to identify a tree growing (very fast!) right next to
the wall of our daughter's new house --- and ailanthus it almost certainly
is! They have only been in the house a couple of months, and in that time
it has grown to some 3m.
I had not knowingly seen one before, but we're pretty sure. In any case,
whatever it is, it has to go. If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?
And as the house was surveyed just three months ago, surely the surveyor
should have warned them!
Thanks!

most surveyors would not know the difference between an Ailanthis and a
Haddock;
they would know what a tree was because they worry if they are too close to
houses
but it depends on what the survey is for.

Why are people so upset by theses Ailanthusses? What is so hard to
eradicate (I saw a lot of web sites but did not read any)?

Des

Rhodendron ponticum = tree of hell

--
Klara, Gatwick basin

Old 21-09-2006, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
most surveyors would not know the difference between an Ailanthis and a
Haddock;

)) I think it's something to do with the speed in which the ailanthis
is growing. But then again so many other plants grow at that speed ...
Again, I would put it to the media, which due to lack of news, time of
year or just for the sake of a story, scare the population with yet
again 'invading poisonnous trees'. That 'invading' word plays on your
psychy you know, much more than the word 'poisonnous'.

Rhodendron ponticum = tree of hell

Now you're talking. Mine's a potted ponticum - best place for it.

Old 21-09-2006, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Des Higgins wrote:
most surveyors would not know the difference between an Ailanthis and a
Haddock;

)) I think it's something to do with the speed in which the ailanthis
is growing. But then again so many other plants grow at that speed ...
Again, I would put it to the media, which due to lack of news, time of
year or just for the sake of a story, scare the population with yet
again 'invading poisonnous trees'. That 'invading' word plays on your
psychy you know, much more than the word 'poisonnous'.

Rhodendron ponticum = tree of hell

Now you're talking. Mine's a potted ponticum - best place for it.

They self seed. Do not let it set seed.
The native oakwoods of SW Ireland are being strangled by it.

Old 21-09-2006, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Des Higgins wrote:
They self seed. Do not let it set seed.

I'll have a word with it then.

The native oakwoods of SW Ireland are being strangled by it.

I know. Sad affair. I don't like rhodo. I really don't. There was a
chap garden designer who's name escape me now, who did extraordinary
things with the rhodos he had. He managed them in such a way, the
trunks were beautifully shaped, elegant and I had never thought the
trunks could be so colourful, the leaves bushed out in clouds like in a
japenese landscape. Really nice.

Old 21-09-2006, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?

Janet Baraclough writes

Like any other suckering tree. Dismantle it, bit by bit if need be.
Cut off the trunk about 18 " above ground, drill holes in its top
surface, apply a stump killer such as SBK *following the instructions on
the pkt to the letter* , cover with a plastic bag to keep
children/pets/rain off. Now is a better time to do it than winter.

If by any chance, the roots are not completely killed and sprout new
suckers a few feet away, do the same to them as soon as they appear. But
it's unlikely. Purpose-made stump killers like SBK are very effective.

In a year's time when you are quite certain the roots sre dead, dig a
hole round the stump, sever it from the roots underground and lever it
out (that's why you left it 18" high). Don't be tempted to do that now
because the roots need time to absorb the poison, and damaging roots
that are not yet dead might well stimulate them into growth.

Thanks, Janet. I guess I panicked a bit (as you do when you think your
offspring may have mortgaged themselves to the hilt for a lifetime and
beyond!), especially as the tree is right next to the house - glued to
it, so to speak. At least you didn't say "move". It looks as if it has
already been cut down once from something much bigger, but obviously
they didn't do anything further. SBK it is!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 25-09-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Klara wrote:
[...]

I saw an ad for a garden flat in which the estate agent had mentioned
the "tree of heaven" in the garden as a selling point! It gave me a
laugh.

Old 26-09-2006, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message .com,
Ornata writes

Klara wrote:
If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?

I saw an ad for a garden flat in which the estate agent had mentioned
the "tree of heaven" in the garden as a selling point! It gave me a
laugh.

Haha - but scary: until last week I would have thought it just a
beautiful tree:-((

Daughter is a bit unhappy - she loves it! But I pointed out that
anything growing virtually out of her wall is sure to do damage!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin
Old 09-10-2006, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default ailanthus altissima - post mortem

The message
from Klara contains these words:

If anyone has successfully eradicated an
ailanthus, could you tell us how?

Janet Baraclough writes

Like any other suckering tree. Dismantle it, bit by bit if need be.
Cut off the trunk about 18 " above ground, drill holes in its top
surface, apply a stump killer such as SBK *following the instructions on
the pkt to the letter* , cover with a plastic bag to keep
children/pets/rain off. Now is a better time to do it than winter.

Daughter and partner have now done this - apparently the smell was
unbelievable, they both felt ill all day! It did mean, though, that
although they had liked the tree, they were happy to get rid of it!

--
Klara, Gatwick basin