Old 26-09-2006, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Uncle Marvo Uncle Marvo is offline

Default Pond Q

, I, Marvo, say :

In message , BoyPete
writes
Fish feeding.
Am I right in thinking that fish won't feed in the dark? I'm rapidly
approaching the time of year when I leave for work in the dark, and
arrive home from work in the dark. This presents a feeding problem.
Thoughts??

I sometimes feed mine in the dark and they eat it. If they are Koi,
you should be thinking of switching over to a wheatgerm food for the
winter before long. (surely it will get cooler very soon?

I agree. Wheatgerm (contained in wheatfeed, a by-product of the flour
industry) is generally available in two basic forms, one is meal
(unprocessed) and one is pelletised. The former, sadly, doesn't contain very
much germ because it is becoming so expensive that the industry gleans it
from the process before it hits the wheatfeed lines. Some of the older mills
still put it in the pellets but also they mix it with molasses, which gets
the cows hooked, but the trouble with molasses is that a spoonful will
remove the oxygen from your pond.

However, if you have a problem getting hold of wheatgerm, email me and I'll
arrange for a big bag (tm) of it to find its way to your door :-)

This is all true, BTW, unlike many of my other posts.